The James Sculpture Garden, a bustling meeting place for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, is located just past the Milton Gates entrance to McGill’s Downtown Campus. In 2010, the square was redesigned to create a more pedestrian-friendly area with green space and outdoor seating. In addition to a terraced lawn, four outdoor sculptures were strategically placed along the north and south pathways of the square, where they enhance the environment and catalyze discussion.
Charles Daudelin’s (1920-2001) Polypède (1967) sits outside the James Administration Building on the north side, and Square Forms and Circles by Barbara Hepworth is located nearby. Giovanni (John) Porretta’s Exaltation (ca. 1982) (pictured below) and Marcel Barbeau’s Fenêtre sur l’avenir (1992) can be found along the south side stairs, leading to the upper part of campus. All four sculptures are examples of twentieth century abstract sculptures.
Giovanni Porretta, Exaltation, ca. 1982, bronze. Gift of Mr. Thomas O. Hecht.
All efforts have been made to contact copyright holders.