Each SCSD faculty member has a laboratory associated with his or her research. These facilities are equipped with state of the art equipment for projects ranging from investigations of infant speech perception and language acquisition, to speech motor control, to the neural bases of speech, language, and emotion. Researchers also have access to a variety of subject populations necessary for the study of normal and disordered speech and language.
- Child Language Development & Disorders Lab - Dr. Elin Thordardottir
- Child Phonology Lab - Dr. Susan Rvachew
- Language and Cognitive Neuroscience Lab - Dr. Laura Gonnerman
- Neurolinguistics Lab - Dr. Shari Baum
- Neuropragmatics and Emotion Lab - Dr. Marc Pell
- Neurocognition of Language Lab - Dr. Karsten Steinhauer
- Psychology of Pragmatics (POP Lab)- Dr. Aparna Nadig
- Speech Learning Lab - Dr. Meghan Clayards
- Speech Perception Lab - Dr. Linda Polka
- Voice and Upper Airway Research (VUA) Lab - Dr. Nicole Yee-Key Li-Jessen
In addition, many faculty are members of the Centre for Research on Brain, Language, and Music a multidisciplinary research centre representing faculty and students from all Montreal universities. Almost half of the SCSD faculty members also supervise research students registered in the Integrated Program in Neuroscience. Our researchers have access to a world-class neuroimaging facility at the Brain Imaging Centre at the Montreal Neurological Institute and the shared research resources of the CRBLM.
In Montreal, our faculty have ongoing collaborations with colleagues at McGill (Psychology, Linguistics, Education and Neurology and Neurosurgery departments), as well as with colleagues at l'Université de Montréal, UQAM, and Concordia University, and at Montreal Children's Hospital and the Jewish General Hospital. We also have collaborations across Canada and internationally, from MPI for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in Leipzig, Germany, to the CNRS in Paris, to RykajavikurAkademian in Iceland.