Do you want to study science at McGill University, but don’t know what you can take and who offers it? This page shows you which academic units at McGill offer undergraduate programs in science, both in the Faculty of Science and also in our sister Faculties. Here you will find links to more information about each academic unit and its programs of study. If you are thinking about applying to McGill, this may help you choose which Faculty or degree to apply to.
If your primary academic interest corresponds to one of the disciplines in this column, you may wish to apply for admission to a B.Sc. degree offered by the Faculty of Science.
When you apply for B.Sc. programs in the Faculty of Science, you choose a group. If you are admitted to that group you will be able to register for any major within that group only. The departments or programs listed below are grouped into the following admission groups:
- Physical, Earth, Math & Computer Science
- Biological, Biomedical & Life Sciences
- Bio-Physical-Computational Sciences
Physical, Earth, Math & Computer Science (B.Sc. group)
Earth and environmental sciences
- Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (including Meteorology)
- Earth and Planetary Sciences (including Geology)
- Earth System Science (interdepartmental)
- Geography (including Physical Geography)
Math and computational science
...plus several Joint Honours and Joint Majors programs.
Biological, Biomedical & Life Sciences (B.Sc. group)
Biological and life sciences
Bio-Physical-Computational Sciences (B.Sc. group)
Where joint programs involve a program from two of the Science Groups above (e.g. Biology and Math) they appear in the Bio-Physical-Computational Sciences Group. Others that involve subjects from one Group only appear in that Group. For example Computer Science and Math is in the Physical, Earth, Math & Computer Science Group because that is where Computer Science and Math are found.
- Biology and Mathematics
- Computer Science and Biology
- Physiology and Mathematics
- Physiology and Physics
Neuroscience (B.Sc. group)
- Neuroscience (interdepartmental)
If your primary academic interest fits better with the disciplines in this column, you may want to apply for admission to a degree offered by one of the other Faculties below.
Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Social sciences (in the Faculty of Arts)
- Environment (see also the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Geography (Human Geography)
- Political science
- Psychology (see also the Faculty of Science entry in the “Biological, Biomedical & Life Sciences” section)
Other life sciences (other Faculties and Schools)
Bachelor of Arts & Science (B.A. & Sc.)
The B.A. & Sc. degree, jointly offered through the Faculty of Arts and the Faculty of Science, is designed for students who have clearly-defined interests in both Arts and Science.
The B.A. & Sc. degree is the only degree at McGill that currently offers an interfaculty program in Cognitive Science. However, the Faculty of Science does offer a B.Sc. Minor in Cognitive Science which can be combined with other Science major areas such as Psychology or Computer Science.
The interfaculty program in Sustainability, Science and Society is also unique to the B.A. & Sc. degree.
- Science for Arts Students - minor program; also, individual courses of interest