1. From a Quebec university
If you are registered in a residency program at a Quebec University and wish to do an elective at McGill, please contact the PGME office of your University to find out how to apply.
2. From a university outside of Quebec
McGill University may accept the following trainees: Canadian citizens or Permanent residents of Canada who are registered in a residency or fellowship program in Canada (graduate of a Canadian or an American medical school, or International Medical Graduate) OR trainees registered in a residency or fellowship program in the U.S.A. (graduate of a Canadian or an American medical school, or International Graduate with the Collège des Médecins du Québec equivalence).
Out-of-province trainees can complete a minimum of one month and maximum of three months of elective at McGill University (except where inter-university agreements exist).
IMPORTANT: The elective application and required documents must be received by the McGill PGME Office 3 months prior to the onset of the elective rotation. Late requests or requests that are missing documents will be refused.
The application process is as follows:
- To ensure McGill has the capacity to accommodate your elective request, please contact the specific McGill department you are interested in. Follow the link to access the Residency Program Contact List.
- You must submit your application using the Request and Payment Form and pay the $75 application fee.
Please take careful note that the $75 application fee is non-refundable. Please ensure that you qualify for the elective, have contacted the McGill department, have read all the rules and followed all steps before payment is made. You may check the status of your application on the Elective Application Status website.
- You must provide the following documents:
- copy of medical degree.
- letter of support and funding from the Program Director, indicating that the resident's salary will be maintained during this elective period; This letter must also include the dates of the elective. The letter must come directly from the University on official letterhead by e-mail or fax.
- proof of CMPA malpractice insurance coverage.
- proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency (passports are not accepted).
- You must obtain a training card from the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ). The CMQ will send you by email instructions on how to apply once they’ve obtained all required information by the PGME office.
- The Immunization Record Form needs to be completed by all trainees in order to be able to work in the McGill network, and you must ensure to submit the fully completed form to your base hospital representative (see bottom of the form).
- If you are required to complete a rotation at McGill University due to an inter-university agreement and require a work permit to train in Canada, please contact our office for further information.
- If you have any questions regarding your visiting elective, please contact the Residency Coordinator depending on your home program.
Photo: Kim Nightingale