The McGill Institute for the Study of Canada was established in 1994. Its mission is to:
- promote a better understanding of Canada through the study of our heritage;
- develop a clearer understanding of Canada's social, political and economic future;
- identify and explore the benefits that a pluralistic society offers;
- support the study of Canada across the country and internationally.
In order to achieve these goals, the Institute:
- encourages a multidisciplinary approach to the study of Canada;
- promotes public as well as university-based education about Canada;
- fosters the development of networks in the areas of Canadian Studies;
- enhances informed discussion of public policy.