The McGill Institute of Aerospace Engineering's mission is to foster the next generation of research and educational initiatives in the field of Aeronautics and Astronautics. With over 42 faculty members and 200 graduate students spanning across six departments, MIAE is engaged aviation- and space-themed research in the fields of environment, energy, design, and manufacturing. The MIAE community has published more than 700 peer-reviewed articles in leading scientific journals in the last 5 years. Its faculty members have been awarded more than $50M in infrastructure and research funding in the last 10 years.
The institute nurtures interest in Aerospace Engineering among undergraduate and graduate students and awareness of the multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment in which they may work as future engineers working in the Aerospace Industry. Students accepted into the Institute will be given the opportunity to participate in a number of 500 to 1000 hours Research Projects proposed by the Aerospace Companies. The Institute is also creating at McGill a special environment where the students will have access to a secure room with complete computer facilities, so that they will be able to work in their projects with the support of their professors. The MIAE students will also be given the opportunity to participate in other activities, organized to give them a comprehensive view of the Aerospace Industry and its challenges, such as plant visits and specially designed courses. 670 Undergraduate and Graduate Internships granted by Aerospace Companies in the last 5 years.
Mandate of MIAE
- To focus and grow the aerospace activity at McGill University
- To enrich the aerospace experience for McGill undergraduates
- To enable students seeking a career in aerospace to obtain industrial experience and contacts in the industry.
- To allow the aerospace industries to have access to the best and most motivated Engineering students who may become future employees
- To bring the technological issues of the industry to the attention of McGill Professors
- To expose the aerospace industry to the full possibilities of the research expertise at McGill
- To establish, develop and maintain contacts between the Faculty of Engineering and industry researchers and engineers.