There are a number of strategies that you can use to encourage your students to complete their course evaluations. Please be mindful that some students may wish to wait until the end of the evaluation period to complete their course evaluations.
If you have any additional strategies that you would like to share, please mercury.info [at] mcgill.ca (contact us).
Evaluation Dates for Fall 2017
November 13 - December 23, 2017
November 13 - December 7, 2017 (view units)
View other strategies
What can I do?
One of the biggest incentives for students to complete course evaluations is evidence of their importance to you as a Teaching Assistant, especially as you are at the beginning of your teaching career. Some things you can mention:
The feedback will help you reflect on and improve your future teaching.
Course evaluation feedback is useful for documenting your experience for job applications.
Highlight how previous course evaluation feedback has improved your teaching as a Teaching Assistant. This lets students know that their feedback is taken seriously to improve courses and teaching.
In conference or tutorial sessions, show this 2-minute video on why students should complete their course evaluations.
Make announcements during tutorial, conference, and/or lab sessions.
Encourage the instructor to add a slide to the PowerPoint slideshows during the evaluation period to remind students about course evaluations being open. Sample slides will be made available.
Include the evaluation period dates in the calendar in myCourses.
How to add Course Evaluation dates to the myCourses Calendar
Adding the course evaluation period dates (open and closing) to your myCourses Calendar provides another reminder to students about completing their evaluations.
- On your course homepage, click on the drop-down menu next to Calendar and click the Go to Calendar button.
- Click the Create Event button.
- Enter the Event Title, Description, and include the time details in the When section. In the Description you may wish to include the direct link for students to complete their evaluations.
Monitor response rates and post regular news announcements with the current response rate on myCourses.
How to post announcements on myCourses
The News Tool appears on the Course Homepage and allows you to post announcements to your students. Some announcement ideas include a statement on why you value course evaluation feedback, weekly updates on response rates, and links to resources for students, such as guidelines on providing effective feedback.
- On your course homepage, click on the drop-down menu next to News and click the New News Item button.
- Enter a Headline and type your message in the Content section.
- Click Publish when you are ready to post your announcement.
Click here to learn more about the News Tool.
Sample News Announcement:
A video example of one instructor's experience
Add the Course Evaluations widget to your myCourses page. It includes important facts about course evaluations and provides a direct link to complete them.
How to add the Course Evaluations widget
To add this widget to your homepage, follow these steps:
- Click Edit Course.
- Click Homepages.
- In the Active Homepage drop-down menu, select McGill Course Home + Course Evaluations.
- Click Apply.
Click HERE for instructions if you already have a customized homepage
- Click Edit Course.
- Click Homepages.
- Your current Homepage will appear as Active. Click on the link for your active Homepage.
- Click on Add Widgets and select the checkbox next to Course Evaluations. Click Add at the bottom of the window. You can move the position of "Course Evaluations" within your Homepage depending on your preference.
- Press Save and Close and it will be added to the Homepage.
Send email reminders to your students.
How to email the class through myCourses
Students automatically receive email reminders from the University about completing their course evaluations, but a message from you that communicates the value of course evaluations may be an added incentive for students to complete them.
myCourses has a feature that allows you to email the entire class at once.
- Click on Classlist in your Navigation bar.
- Click on the Email Classlist button.
- Ensure that the All or Students tab is selected. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Send Email.
- Compose your email in the Body and click Send at the top of the page.
In consultation with the instructor, ask students to bring their laptops, smartphones, or tablets to class and allow time to complete the evaluations during class. It is most effective to do this at the beginning of the class, or during conferences, tutorials, or labs. You and the instructor should leave the room during this process.
In consultation with the instructor, if you have access to computer labs, you can reserve a time during the evaluation period for students to go and fill them out. You and the instructor should leave the room during this process.