In compliance with the National Standard for Support of Accredited CPD Activities, and to safeguard attaining CPD credits for your activity, please ensure to follow the planning process described below:
Physician Organization (PO): Ensure eligibility
(Click on the image to enlarge it)
- Select/Form Scientific Planning Committee
- Determine target audience. Ensure representation of target audience
- Mitigate SPC completed CoI forms. Discuss strategy to mitigate and manage potential/real conflict of interest - transcribe via minutes
- Discuss timeline, budget, flow of funds, etc. – transcribe via minutes
- Review CPD accreditation standards
- Conduct a Needs Assessment
- Create Education Goals/Learning Objectives
- Determine appropriate learning format
- Develop Program Content
- Select speakers. Collect completed CoI forms, review & mitigate potential/real conflict of interest - transcribe via minutes
- Provide CPD standards to selected speakers
- Content review
- Complete and submit accreditation application forms and documentation
- Deliver Program
- Evaluation Outcome
CPD activities must be developed or co-developed by a PO. The PO must be involved in the development of the CPD activity from selecting the SPC members to the evaluation outcome. Definition of a Physician Organization
Selection of the SPC must be achieved with the PO. If developing an activity to be held in Quebec, ensure to engage two Committees: 1) Scientific Planning Committee and 2) Organizing Committee. Scientific Planning Committee (SPC): Chair, Selecting Members and Responsibilities
The SPC structure must be made up of the target audience. If the target audience is interprofessional, the SPC must include representation from each profession.
The SPC must have exclusive control and assume responsibility over topics, content, presenter selection, and appropriateness of the learning format. As a result, the SPC will ensure the scientific validity and objectivity of the content certifying that key references are listed as evidence for claims made.
Prior to developing an activity, the SPC must discuss key elements linked to the development of the activity. Discussion must include: the method used to review the completed CoI forms from all resource persons, including those of the SPC members; strategy used to manage potential or real conflicts of interest; timeline, budget, and the flow of funds; identification and development of the learning objectives; selection of the learning format; selection of speakers, etc...
Sample - SPC Program Planning Meeting Minutes
The SPC must ensure that funds received are in the form of an educational grant payable to the SPC/physician organization and must assume responsibility for the disbursements of funds. Ensuring that there will be no industry influence over any of the planning aspects linked to the activity. Template PPT - Displaying COI and Learning Objectives
The SPC must conduct a needs assessment.
The SPC is responsible to ensure that content presented avoids copying images, videos, tables, cartoons, and graphs from copyright publications; Copyright Criteria for PowerPoints