The McGill Medical Museum has been housed in a number of sites. In the first part of the 19th century, it occupied one or two rooms in small buildings at various locations in the city. When the new Medical Building was opened on campus in 1872, it included space especially designed to house its anatomy and pathology collections. After fire destroyed this building in 1907, what remained of the museum was moved to the newly built Medical Building (Strathcona Anatomy and Dentistry Building) in which it occupied three floors centered around a central rotunda. The Pathological Institute, which opened in 1923 and to which much of the Museum's material was again moved, also contained ample space for both a museum and the workshops/laboratories required to maintain it.