Follow us on:
William Dawson Scholar
Aerospace Program Director
Ph.D. University of British Columbia
M.ASc. École Polytechnique of Montreal
B.Eng. École Polytechnique of Montreal
Macdonald Engineering Building, Rm 367 Map
pascal.hubert [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
The revolution in various sectors of human activities ranging from communication, transportation and health demands the understanding and development of new advanced materials. My research interests mainly focus on the development of the next generation of process modeling tools for advanced composite materials. I am also looking at the mechanical and physical properties and processibility of new revolutionary nanostructured composite materials also know as nanocomposites. A combination of experimental and computational techniques are utilised to reach these goals
Current Research Projects
- Modeling and Characterization of Nanostructured Polymer Composites
- Multifunctional, light weight, single-walled carbon nanotube-based carbon fibre nanocomposites for transportation
- Polyester Nanocomposites for Greener Transportation, Construction and Packaging Applications
- Lightweight composite armour for IED protection: A single walled carbon solution Network for Innovative Plastic Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- Out-of-Autoclave Composite Manufacturing
- Fabrication of a Aerospace Primary Structure Prototype in Thermoplastic Composite Materials
- Thermoplastic Composite Tail-Boom Concept Demonstrator
- Thermoplastic composite thermoforming technology for complex and integrated aerospace components
- Thermoplastic Laser Transmission and resistance Welding
Most Significant Publications
- V. Mirjalili and P. Hubert, "Modelling of the Carbon Nanotube Brudging Effect on the Toughening of Polymers and Experimental Verification", Journal of Composites Science and Technology, 2010, 70(10), pp. 1537-1543.
- L. Khoun, T. Centea, P. Hubert, "Characterization methodology of thermoset resins for the processing of composite materials – Case study: CYCOM 890RTM epoxy resin", Journal of Composite Materials, 2010, 44 (11), p.1397-1415.
- G. Palardy, P. Hubert, M. Haider and L. Lessard, "Optimization of RTM Processing Parameters for Class A Surface Finish", Composites Part B, 2008, 39, 7-8, 1280-1286.
- M. Dubé, P. Hubert, A. Yousefpour and J. Denault, "Current Leakage Prevention in Resistance Welding of Carbon Fibre Reinforced Thermoplastics", Composites Science and Technology, 2008, 68, 6, 1579-1587.
- B. Ashrafi, P. Hubert, "Modeling the Elastic Properties of Carbon Nanotube Array/Polymer Composites", Journal of Composites Science and Technology, 2006, 66, 3-4, 387-396.
- R.B. Pipes, P. Hubert, "Helical Carbon Nanotube Arrays: Mechanical properties", Journal of Composites Science and Technology, 2002, 62, 3, 419-428.
- P. Hubert, R. Vaziri , A. Poursartip, "A Two Dimensional Flow Model for the Process Simulation of Complex Shape Composite Laminates", International Journal of Numerical Methods in Engineering, 1999, 44, 1, 1-26.
MECH 321 Mechanics of Deformable Solids
MECH 501 Special Topics:Mechanical Eng
MECH 681 Aeronautics Project
MECH 682 course description not available
MECH 687 Aerospace Case Studies
MECH 688 Industrial Stage
Structures and Composites Laboratory
McGill Institute for Advanced Materials (MIAM)
Centres and Networks
Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)
Canadian Association for Composite Structures and Materials (CACSMA)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
Society for the Advancement in Material and Process in Engineering (SAMPE)
American Society for Composites (ASC)
Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- The Boeing Company.
- MDA Corp.
- Ford Motor Company
- Aston Martin
- Bell Helicopter
- Pratt & Whitney
- NASA Langley Research Center
- National Institute of Aerospace
- Institute of Aerospace Research
- Industrial Materials Institute
- Aerospace Manufacturing Technology Center
- Steacie Institute for Molecular Sciences
- The University of Akron
- Michigan State University
- Purdue University
- Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal
- The University of British Columbia
- Delft University
- Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne