NSERC Chair in Design Engineering for Interdisciplinary Innovation of Medical Technologies
Chwang-Seto Faculty Scholar
Professional engineer with in-depth experience in the implementation of new product ideas from concept phase to commercially viable completion. A proven research and development record respectfully acknowledged in peer-reviewed scientific publications and adjudged presentations in the field of musculoskeletal biomechanics with focus on the spine.
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering, École Polytechnique of Montreal
B. Eng. Mechanical Engineering, McGill University
MECH 463 - Final Year Capstone Design Project
MECH393 - Machine Element Design
MECH 561 - Biomechanics of Musculoskeletal Systems
MECH 290 - Graphic Design
- Driscoll, M., Aubin, C-E., Moreau, A. and Parent, S., (2008) Stress shielding within the scoliotic spine: a progressive risk factor? Stud Health Technol Inform. 157: 356.
- Driscoll, M., Aubin, C-E., Parent, S., Moreau, A. and Villemure, I., (2009) The role of concave-convex biases in the progression of idiopathic scoliosis. Eur Spine J, 18: p. 180-187.
- Beaudette, K., Boudoux, C., Driscoll, M., Strupler, M., Maciejko, R. and Aubin, C-E., (2010) Towards a Handheld Probe based on Coherence Tomography for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeries. Stud Health Technol Inform, 158: 49-54.
- Driscoll, M., Aubin, C-E., Parent, S. and Moreau, A., (2010) Finite Element Comparison of Different Growth Sparring Instrumentation Systems for the Early Treatment of Idiopathic Scoliosis. Stud Health Technol Inform, 158: 89-94.
- Shi, L., Wang, D., Driscoll, M., Chu, W., Cheng, JCY., Villemure, I. and Aubin, C-E., (2010) Scoliotic vs. Normal Vertebral Growth Profiles on the Progression of Idiopathic Scoliosis: a Biomechanical Study. Stud Health Technol Inform, 158: 284.
- Driscoll, M. and Blyum, L., (2010) The presence of physiological stress shielding in the degenerative cycle of musculoskeletal disorders. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 15(3): 335-342.
- Blyum, L., and Driscoll, M. (2011) Mechanical Stress transfer – the fundamental physical basis of all manual therapy techniques. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 16(4): 520.
- Driscoll, M., Aubin, C-E., Moreau, A. and Parent, S., (2011) Biomechanical comparison of fusionless growth modulation corrective techniques in pediatric scoliosis. Med Bio Eng Comp, 49(12): 1437-1445.
- Shi, L., Wang, D., Driscoll, M., Chu, W., Cheng, JCY., Villemure, I. and Aubin, C-E., (2011) Biomechanical analysis and modeling of different vertebral growth patterns in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and healthy subjects. Scoliosis Journal, 6(11)
- Driscoll, M., Aubin, C-E., Moreau, A., Wakula Y., Sawark, J., and Parent, S., (2012) Spinal growth modulation using a novel intravertebral epiphyseal device in an immature porcine model. European Spine Journal, 21(1): 138-144.
- Hachem, B., Aubin, CE., Driscoll, M., and Parent, S., (2012) Porcine spine finite element model as an alternative tool for the validation of a novel fusionless device. Stud Health Technol Inform (176) 459.
- Driscoll, M., Mac-Thiong, J-M., Labelle, H., Slivka, M., Stad, S., and Parent, S. (2013) Biomechanical assessment of reduction forces measured during scoliotic instrumentation using two different screw designs. Spine Deformity Journal, 1: 94-101.
- Driscoll, M., Mac-Thiong, J-M., Labelle, and Parent, S. (2013) Development of a detailed volumetric finite element model of the spine to simulate surgical correction of spinal deformities. Biomed Research International, Article, p6
- Driscoll, M., Fortier-Tougas, C., Labelle, H., Parent, S., and Mac-Thiong, JM., (2014) Evaluation of an apparatus to be combined with a smartphone for the early detection of spinal deformities, Scoliosis, 9:10. (doi:10.1186/1748-7161-9-10)
- Driscoll, M., and Blyum, L., (2014) Results of a 3-year prospective cohort study investigating the influence of home-based therapy on patients with cerebral palsy in GMFCS levels IV and V, Dev Med Child Nerol: 56 (s5), p67
- Driscoll, M., Mac-Thiong, JM., Labelle, H., Stad, S., Serhan, H., and Parent, S., (2015) Biomechanical comparison of two different pedicle screw systems during the surgical correction of adult spinal deformities, Spine Deformity Journal, 3(2): 114-121.
- Drewes, E., Driscoll, M., Blyum, L., and Vincents, D., (2016) The effects of a home-based connective tissue targeting therapy on hip development in children with cerebral palsy: 6 case report, Explore Journal; (4) 268-276.
- Driscoll, M., Aubin, C-E., Moreau, A., Wakula Y., Amini, S., and Parent, S., (2016) Novel hemi-staple for the fusionless correction of pediatric scoliosis: influence on intervertebral discs and growth plates in a porcine model. Clin Spine Surg; (9) 457-464.
- Driscoll, M. (2018) Fascia- The Unsung Biomechanical Hero of our Musculoskeletal System JBMT, 22(1) 90-91 (Invited Paper)
- Fleckenstein, J., Schleip, R., Sachs, C., Driscoll, M., et al. (2018) Fascia Research – where is it going? (Faszienforschung: Quo vadis), J. of Acc. 61(2) 69-74
- Klinger, W., Driscoll, M., (2018) Revolution in Fascia Research, JBMT, 22;(4), 844 (invited editorial).
- AvilaGonzalez, A., Wearing, S., Driscoll, M., Schleip, R., and Klinger, W. (2018) Frontiers in Fascia Research, JBMT, (22):4, 873-880.
- Driscoll, M., (2019) Faszien, die unbesungenen Helden der Wirbelsaulen-Biomechanik, Journal of Morbus Bechterew, (156); 7 (translated editorial)
- Driscoll, M. (2019) The impact of the finite element method on medical device design, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering (JMBE), 39(2) 171-172 (Invited Paper)
- Clin, J.*, Le Naveaux, F., Driscoll, M., et al. (2019) Biomechanical Comparison of the Load-Sharing Capacity of High and Low Implant Density Constructs with 3 Types of Pedicle Screws for the Instrumentation of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis, Spine Deformity Journal, 7(1): 2-10
- Driscoll, M., Blyum, L., (2019) Investigation of the influence of a home-based therapy on the intra-abdominal pressure and spinal stability of cerebral palsy patients, Clinical Biomechanics, 69: 164-167.
- Brahmi, B.,* Hamza, M.,* Brahmi, A., Driscoll, M., (2020) Adaptive high order sliding mode control based on quasi-time delay estimation for uncertain robot manipulator. Journal of Control Theory and Technology, (3);1-14
- El-Monajjed, K*., Driscoll, M., (2020) A Finite Element Analysis of the Intra-Abdominal Pressure and Paraspinal Muscle Compartment Pressure Interaction through the Thoracolumbar Fascia, Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering (epud ahead of print)
- Brahmi, B*., Driscoll, M., El Bojairami, I.,* (2020) Novel Adaptive Impedance Control for Exoskeleton Robot for Rehabilitation Using a Nonlinear Time-Delay Disturbances Observer, ISA Transaction, Elsevier (in press)
- Patel, S*., Alkadri, S*., Driscoll, M., (2020) A Kinematic Study of a Haptic Device Towards the Development of a Benchtop Configuration for a Novel Physics-Based Simulator for a Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Journal of Surgical Simulation (under review)
- El-Bojairmi, I*., Driscoll, M., (2020) Correlating Skeletal Muscle Output Force and Intramuscular Pressure via a 3-Dimensional Finite Element Muscle Model, Nature Scientific Reports (in press)
- Brahmi, B.,* Driscoll M, Saad, M., (2020) "Novel Adaptive Augmented Backstepping Control of Uncertain Exoskeleton Robot For Rehabilitation", Robotics and Autonomous Systems (in press)
- Stott, B*., Driscoll, M., (2020) Preliminary Validation of a Novel Universal Robotic Thoracolumbar Spine Bench Model with Pneumatic Muscles, European Spine Journal (under review)
- El-Monajjed, K*., Driscoll, M., (2020) “Analysis of Surgical Forces Required to Gain Access using a Probe for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery via Cadaveric-based Experiments towards use in Training Simulators” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (epub ahead of print)
- Brahmi, B.,* El-Monajjed, K.,* and Driscoll, M. (2020) "Novel Adaptive Backstepping Control of Uncertain Electrically Driven Haptic Robot For Surgical Training Systems" Nonlinear Dynamics, An International Journal of Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos in Engineering Systems. Springer (under review)
- Wang, T.*, Driscoll, M., (2020) A comparative side by side cadaver and surgical simulator study exploring the balance between computational complexity and virtual graphics in a novel surgical spine simulator International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (under review)
- Newell, E.,* Driscoll, M., (2020) Stress Shielding in a Finite Element Lumbar Spine Inclusive of the Thoracolumbar Fascia – Could it have a Role in Low Back Pain, Spine (under review)
- Patel, S.,* Driscoll, M., Ouellet, J., (2020) Exploration of the Correlation between Impact Forces and Displacement During Posterior Spinal Fusion towards Implementation in a Novel Mixed Reality Surgical Trainer, Spine (under review)
- Cotter, T.,* Driscoll, M., Mongrain, R., (2020) Design Synthesis of a Robotic Uniaxial Torque Device for Orthopedic Haptic Simulation, Journal of Mechanical Design (under review)
- Jacobson, N.,* Driscoll, M. (2020) Preliminary evaluation of a` novel tool to non-invasively characterize pressurized, physiological vessels. In: Annals of Biomedical Engineering. Springer (Under Review)
- El-Monajjed, K.,* Driscoll, M., (2020) Haptic integration and validation of data- driven forces required to gain access using a probe for minimally invasive spine surgery via cadaveric-based experiments towards use in surgical simulators, Journal of Computational Science (under review)
- Brahim B.,* El Bojairami, I.,* Driscoll, M., Saad, M., Zemmam, S.,* Laraki, L.,* (2020) "Enhancement of Sliding Mode Control Performance For Perturbed and Unperturbed Nonlinear System: Theory and Experimentation on Rehabilitation Robot" Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, springer. (in press)
- Hamedzadeh, A.,* Driscoll, M., (2020) Finite Element Analysis of Probe Insertion – Reverse Engineering of Mechanical Properties, IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering (under review)
- Alkadri, S.,* Jansen, T.,* Driscoll, M., (2020) Assessment of Force-Pressure Relationship of Pneumatic Artificial Muscles as an Analogue Model of Skeletal Muscles, IOP Publishing Ltd, Bioinspiration & Biomimetics (under review)
1. Exploration of the impact of connective tissue (fascia) towards a better understanding of spine biomechanics
2. The development and validation of a novel augmented reality spine surgical simulator
Global interests reside in improving the biomechanical understanding of mechanisms that govern our musculoskeletal system. The use of complementary research platforms (in vivo, ex vivo, and in silico) foster novel findings towards the understanding of healthy system and the onset and/or pathomechanism of musculoskeletal disorders. Such translational research is interdisciplinary and requires a multifaceted approach to promote the engineering conception and design of new mechanical solutions.
More specifically, the laboratory seeks to better understand the control system governing spinal stability. Of further interest is how this control system responds when mechanical biases are introduced resulting in physiological stress shielding. Additionally, performs research and development of novel physics driven virtual reality surgical simulators for improved surgeon training in orthopeadics. Moreover, the mechanical performance of current and future medical devices are also studied.
1. Canada NSERC Chair Design Engineering for Interdisciplinary Innovation of Medical Technologies
2. Featured as one of nine Engineers in Quebec, with distinct performance in the last 20 years between age of 22 and 60 (Order of Engineers 100 year anniversary magazine). Jan. 2020
3. Professor of the Year in Mechanical Engineering at McGill University, voted by the students for 2018-2019
4. Award for recognition for outstanding contribution (35 and under) in 2018 by the Order of Engineers of Quebec (OIQ)
5. ANSYS Hall of Fame winner 2015 for best use of engineering simulation platform
6. Best New Technology for Spine Care in 2014 (Inventor and head engineer)
1. Source: Med e-News
- Headline: Future Ready: Is This Spinal Tap (Featured article about Prof. Driscoll)
- Date: May 2020
- Details: https://www.mcgill.ca/research/article/future-ready-spinal-tap
2. Source: PLAN magazine
- Headline: Numéro spécial 100 ans de l’Ordre de la revue PLAN – Prof. Driscoll’s work highlighted https://www.mcgill.ca/research/article/future-ready-spinal-tapas an Engineer to lead Quebec through the next 100 years (p 36-37)
- Date: Jan 2020
- Details: http://oiq.qc.ca/Documents/plan/Plan_janvier_Fevrier_2020_WEB.pdf
3.Source: Global News, interview
- Headline: Fascinated with fascia treatments? It’s time to face the facts
- Date: August 2019
- Details: https://globalnews.ca/news/5741491/fascia-stretching-plantar-fasciitis/
4. Source: Order of Engineers Quebec
- Headline: The Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec paid tribute to the excellence and know-how of its members at the 14th Soirée de l’Excellence en genie on Wednesday, May 30, 2018, at Grévin Museum.
- Date: June 2018
5. Source: City of Montreal
- Headline: McGill University to partner with industry in developing virtual reality training platform for spinal surgery
- Date: June 2018
- Details: https://ville.montreal.qc.ca/idmtl/en/mcgill-university-to-partner-with-industry-in-developing-virtual-reality-training-platform-for-spinal-surgery/
6. Source: Becker Spine Review Magazine
- Headline: Virtual reality: McGill University, CAE Healthcare & DePuy Synthes partner for new spine surgery training
- Date: June 2018
- Details: https://www.beckersspine.com/spine/item/41421-virtual-reality-mcgill-university-cae-healthcare-depuy-synthes-partner-for-new-spine-surgery-training.html
5. Source: Medical Simulation Training
- Headline: McGill University Partners with CAE Healthcare to develop VR spinal surgery training platform
- Date: June 2018
- Details: https://medicalsimulation.training/university/mcgill-university-partners-with-cae-healthcare-to-develop-vr-spinal-surgery-training-platform/
6. Source: Mobile Syrup (online tech magazine)
- Headline: McGill University Partners with industries to develop VR training tech for spinal surgery training
- Date: June 2018
- Details: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/06/19/mcgill-university-partners-vr-training-tech-spinal-surgery-training/
7. Source: BioWorld MedTech
- Headline: Medical device triumvirate developing VR spinal surgery training simulator
- Date: June 2018
8. Source: McGill Reporter
- Headline: Combining engineering and medicine to combat spinal disorders
- Date: June 2018
- Details: https://reporter.mcgill.ca/combining-engineering-and-medicine-to-find-a-cure-for-back-problems/
9. Source: SALTISE
- Headline: Implementation and Evaluation Of A New Evaluation Tool For The Improvement Of Specific Student Skill Sets Towards Solving Open-Ended Engineering Design Problems
- Date: Dec 2018
- Details: https://www.saltise.ca/mini-grant/implementation-and-evaluation-of-a-new-evaluation-tool-for-the-improvement-of-specific-student-skill-sets-towards-solving-open-ended-engineering-design-problems/
10.Source: LA PRESSE
- Headline: Ingénieurs honorés
- Date: June 2018
- Details: https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/tetes-daffiche/201806/01/01-5184136-ingenieurs-honores.php
11.Source: Business Wire
- Headline: EOS imaging announces exclusive licensing and partnership in surgical simulation
- Date: January 2016
- Details: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160119006568/en/EOS-imaging-Announces-Exclusive-Licensing-Partnership-Surgical
12.Source: Ansys (world leading simulation platform)
- Headline: Ansys Hall of Fame Competition Winer
- Date: June 2015
- Details: https://www.ansys.com/other/hall-of-fame/archive/2015/spinologics
13.Source: RRY Publications, LLC
- Headline: The Eleven Best New Spine Technologies for 2014
- Date: November 2014
- Details: http://ryortho.com/2014/11/the-eleven-best-new-spine-technologies-for-2014/