McGill’s Institute of Air & Space Law, Centre for International Sustainable Development Law, the International Emissions Trading Association, and the German Embassy invite you to a one-day symposium on emissions trading developments and international aviation sector emissions issues.
Symposium participants will hear from industry & academic experts about a range of increasingly inter-connected issues, implementation/legal challenges, and future policy pathways related to emissions trading developments and tackling international aviation sector emissions.
Download the latest version of the program: Emissions Trading & Aviation Symposium - Flyer & Program [.pdf]
Key questions that symposium speakers & panelists will cover include:
- What is the state of Quebec's carbon market? How do various market participants perceive the design & operationalization of Quebec's carbon market?
- What are the prospects & timelines for Quebec's linkage to California's market...and beyond?
- What are projected supply-demand dynamics & price projections for Quebec's market?
- What is the state of play in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS)? How is the EU planning to treat the aviation sector? What policy is guiding Canadian airlines?
- What role do registries play in carbon market operation & oversight? What lessons can be learned from the EU experience? Where might registries fit into aviation sector proposals?
- What role do exchanges play in market development & price discovery? What lessons can be learned from the EU experience? Where might exchanges fit into aviation sector proposals?
- What regional/international legal issues arise in tackling aviation sector emissions, and how might future scenarios play out in Canada and abroad?
- How does Quebec treat aviation under its cap-and-trade system? Is there any potential role for its tradable units in connection with aviation and the EU ETS?
A light lunch will be served to all registered participants. As space is limited, please RSVP to fraser [at] ieta [dot] org as soon as possible.