Students have the right to consult any written submission for which they have received a mark and the right to discuss this submission with the examiner. This request pertains to courses offered by the Faculty of Education with final exams, final terms papers and projects which are worth at least 25% of the final grade.
The Faculty recognizes two types of reassessments or rereads:
- Reassessment of coursework (term papers, mid-terms, assignments, quizzes, etc.)
- Reread of a final exam/paper/project (worth at least 25% of the final grade)
Reassessment of Coursework
- Reassessment of course work is administered by the course instructor or the offering department.
- Requests, made by students, must be made within 10 working days of the date of return of the graded materials.
- Reassessments should normally be completed within 20 working days of the request.
- The reviewer will assess the fairness of the original grade rather than re-grade the assignment as they would have graded it.
- Grades may be lowered or raised, or they may remain the same, as a result of the reassessment. The grade obtained on the reassessment takes precedence over the original grade.
Reassessments of coursework is NOT administered by the Internships and Student Affairs Office. Do NOT use this form to request a reassessment of coursework (term papers, mid-terms, assignments, quizzes, etc.)
Rereads of Final Exams or Final Term Papers or Projects (worth at least 25% of the final grade)
These rereads are administered by the Internships and Student Affairs Office, but conducted by the units involved. Students must apply for a reread via this form by the following deadlines:
- March 31 for courses in the Fall term
- June 30 for courses in the Winter term
- September 30 for courses in the Summer term
These deadlines are strictly enforced and no requests will be accepted past them.
- No rereads are permitted for computer scored examinations.
- Only one reread is permitted per term.
- The grade obtained on the reread takes precedence over the original grade.
- Students are assessed a fee for rereads (fee information from Student Accounts in the "Additional Service Charges" category)
It is strongly recommended, but not required, that students consult with the instructor of the course before requesting an official reread. The new reviewer assigned by the Department will assess the fairness of the original grade rather than remark the assignment as he or she would have graded it. Grades may be lowered or raised, or they may remain the same, as a result of the reread. The grade obtained on the reread takes precedence over the original grade.
Note: Reassessments and rereads for courses not offered by the Faculty of Education are subject to the deadlines, rules, and regulations of the particular faculty.
For questions or further information about the policy or process, please contact isa.education [at] mcgill.ca or visit the Internships & Student Affairs Office.
For University Regulations Concerning Final Examinations, refer to this link