IPEA 500, Roles in Interprofessional Teams
Students are introduced to interprofessional practice and the roles of the different healthcare professionals that make up an interprofessional team.
Following participation in IPEA 500 - Roles in Interprofessional Teams, students will be able to:
- Recognize that patients and their families have multiple and complex healthcare needs.
- Explain one’s own professional role and responsibilities.
- Reflect on the professional roles of other healthcare professionals within an Interprofessional team.
- Identify challenges and strengths facing the team members in relation to a clinical scenario.
IPEA 501, Communication in Interprofessional Teams
Students work in groups as they are introduced to effective communication and interactions in interprofessional teams.
Following participation in IPEA 501 - Communication in Interprofessional Teams, students will be able to:
- Apply interprofessional teamwork communication principles.
- Facilitate discussions and interactions among health profession team members in order to effectively share patient’s information amongst team members.
- Create a collaborative plan in relation to a patient-related context using shared decision-making.
- Reflect on the teamwork experience when applying knowledge, skills and attitudes relating to interprofessional communication.
IPEA 502, Patient Centred Care in Action: An Interprofessional Approach
Students are introduced to a simulated patient/family centered care scenario in which they will be working in interprofessional teams to develop a plan of care. The activity is in collaboration with the Steinberg Centre for Simulation and Interactive Learning.
Following participation in IPEA 502 - Patient-Centred Care in Action: An Interprofessional Approach, students will be able to:
- Communicate respectfully and effectively in the healthcare context.
- Demonstrate interprofessional collaboration to support patient/client/family needs.
- Apply effective team processes to ensure patient/client/family centered care.
- Plan the next steps in patient/client/family care incorporating shared decision-making.
IPEA 503, Managing Interprofessional Conflict
This interactive, online Interprofessional Education (IPE) course introduces students to the competency of interprofessional conflict resolution in order to engage collaboratively and intentionally when addressing disagreements or conflicts within an interprofessional health care team.
Following participation in IPEA 503 – Managing Interprofessional Conflict, students will be able to:
- Explain the nature and potential sources of growing interprofessional conflict occurring within the context of care using an online case.
- Relate and reflect on personal experiences when dealing with conflict.
- Organize strategies to deal with interprofessional conflict within the context of care.
- Plan an approach for resolving a conflict within the interprofessional team to address complex patient/family care needs.