As part of an ongoing Proud to Teach campaign in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, the office of the Vice-Dean Education has launched two new teaching awards: one for faculty members and one for students. The goals of these awards are to recognize individuals who have developed and implemented innovative teaching strategies that are learning- and learner-focused.
Some examples of innovations could include:
- Peer to peer assessment strategies
- Strategies to foster active learning
- Educational innovations with potential to benefit learners from different professional backgrounds, and/or are translatable to other Departments, Schools or Faculties
- Learner-driven initiatives that promote active learning
Faculty members will be eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Developed/applied an educational and/or teaching innovation in a course, program, School or Unit within the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Students will be eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- Developed/applied an educational and/or teaching innovation for students in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate, graduate student or resident in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Applications must include the following:
- 1 page description of educational innovation
- Short biosketch (500 words or less)
- Optional items to include (but not limited to): 1) some basic biographical information; 2) a brief description of why the applicant is interested in teaching/education; 3) future career goals/aspirations as they pertain to teaching/education.
- For Faculty members: Recommendation letter (500 words or less) from department chair, colleagues or student(s) (letter of support from students should be from past students only, not current students).
- For students: Recommendation letter (500 words or less) from a faculty or staff member (letter of support should not be from a faculty or staff member who is currently teaching or supervising the student).
Please submit application package to:
Leigh Dickson @ leigh.dickson [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline for nominations is: December 15th, 2020
The award winners will be announced during Teacher Appreciation Week (the first week of February 2021)
A committee of stakeholders, appointed by the Vice-Dean, Education, will select the honorees from among the following criteria:
- Demonstration of an innovation in teaching or educational practice;
- Likelihood for impact to learners.
Award winners will be presented with certificates and their innovation and acknowledgement of award will be featured in Health e-News.
Honorees will be notified of the Committee's decision in February 2021.