A new Collective Agreement for Postdoctoral Researchers (unionized postdocs) was signed on June 16, 2023. See below for important changes regarding the duration of the postdoctoral appointment as well as minimum salary going forward. The complete Collective Agreement can be consulted here. Frequently Asked Questions have been compiled here.
An appointment is normally of a duration of twelve (12) months or greater. However, in certain circumstances, an appointment of less than twelve (12) months may be offered. The Employer shall not use appointments of less than twelve (12) months for the sole purpose of preventing the hiring of a single Employee for a period of twelve (12) months or more.
Twenty (20) working days prior to the end of the appointment the Employer shall provide written confirmation of the end date of the appointment.
Article 19.01 Pay Rates
The annualized minimum salary for a Post-Doctoral Researcher is as follows:
- August 1, 2020: Thirty-four thousand six hundred and eleven dollars ($34,611)
- May 29, 2022: Thirty-eight thousand dollars ($38,000)
- June 4, 2023: Forty-one thousand five hundred dollars ($41,500)
- June 2, 2024: Forty-five thousand dollars ($45,000)
- June 1, 2025: Forty-eight thousand dollars ($48,000)
Employees at or over the new set minimum will receive the following salary increases:
- May 30, 2021 salary increase of 2.0%
- May 29, 2022 salary increase of 3.0%
- June 4, 2023 salary increase of 3.0%
- June 2, 2024 salary increase of 3.0%
- June 1, 2025 salary increase of 3.0%
The above-mentioned minima and salary increases have a retroactive effect.
Employees below the new set minimum will receive either the salary increases or be brought up to the minimum, whichever is the highest.