Updates for current Summer 2021 are not yet complete. Please keep returning here and / or visit your Faculty contact.
Awards are meant to nurture interest and develop potential for a research career in the natural sciences and engineering. They are also meant to encourage the undertaking of graduate studies in these fields.
NSERC USRA actively encourages FEMALE and ABORIGINAL applicants
- NSERC is reminding you that the USRA program actively encourages women applicants in their pursuit of graduate studies and careers in science and engineering.
- NSERC also encourages eligible Canadian Aboriginal students to apply.
Value & Duration
- 16 consecutive weeks on a full-time basis
$6 000. from NSERC + min. $1 500. contribution from Supervisor
Set by Faculties
Pdf copies of applications must be submitted to your academic unit according to the following deadlines and be sure to visit your Faculty webpages linked below.
Please refer to the NSERC website for your eligibility requirements.
- Applicants who wish to hold an NSERC USRA at McGill must apply through the academic unit where they wish to hold the award (same academic unit as proposed supervisor).
- Applicants and supervisors should consult NSERC’s Application Instructions
- Submit pdf copy of online application and all supporting documents to the academic unit where you will hold the award by deadline indicated
- If you are currently registered at another university, you may be required to provide additional information to McGill.
- Proposed supervisors should hold their primary appointment at McGill University, if not, students should apply through the supervisor’s primary institution.
- NSERC USRA Checklist
- NSERC’s online application: Form 202 (if you do not already have a PIN, you must register first)
- Applicant complete Part I and attach PDF scans of official transcripts (see below)
- Supervisors complete Part II (must enter any 6 digit number in lieu of Grant number if do not hold active NSERC Grant)
- All components of application to be submitted in pdf copy to academic unit/Faculty as per deadlines above
- McGill transcript, plus all other university-level transcripts (must indicate Winter 2021 term or last term registered in undergraduate study)
- For non-McGill students only: Undergraduate Research Trainee Registration form
- Value 1 500.$
- Must apply once you have received notice from NSERC that your USRA application has been successful.
- **Value 5 000.$
- Based on relevance of USRA research to the National Resources Canada - Canadian Forest Service. If eligibility criteria is met, then applicant is automatically considered by the Agency.
- ** See your supervisor for details on how the value of the supplement will be awarded as this supplement may be used to replace the minimum required amount from your supervisor (1 500.$).
For more information, contact your proposed supervisor's academic unit or consult the website for the NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards Program