The main objective of the Dentistry Student Ambassador program is to connect newly admitted students and prospective applicants with current dental students to learn more about their experience in our undergraduate dental programs. A student’s perspective can be very helpful and valuable to applicants when trying to decide whether or not to apply to McGill’s Faculty of Dentistry.
What would a Student Ambassador have to do?
A dental student interested in applying to our Student Ambassador Program would have to be interested and available to:
- Act as a contact person to newly admitted students and prospective applicants - This implies that the student will agree to have his/her photo, profile and email address published on our website as well as answer emails on a regular basis (time frame to respond: 5 days);
- Conduct tours of the clinic and preclinical lab (usually done by senior students) as well as class visits if possible and with the permission from the professor;
- Participate to special events such as McGill Open House (generally the last Sunday of October), Cégep Caravan, Youth Outreach activities, Multiple Mini-Interviews (MMI), information sessions, etc.;
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office on the development of new outreach activities to reach people from varied backgrounds and life trajectories.
Tasks and roles will be assigned according to the students’ seniority in the program and preferences (e.g. a First-Year DMD students might be limited to sharing their experience of the admissions process and their first year at McGill, but not be able to describe clinical work or provide tours of the facility).
How to join the program?
- Fill in the application form and submit it by August 1st, 2018;
- If selected, you will have to attend a training session to help you prepare for your role as Student Ambassador (end of September, early October - date to be confirmed);
- Once enrolled, a student will remain Ambassador for one year (renewable). In order to keep the position, he or she will need to remain in good academic standing.
What is the selection process?
Candidates will be selected by a sub-committee of the Admissions Committee based on the following selection criteria:
- Ability to positively influence his/her peers, make a positive first impression, adapt to a variety of situations and work well with others;
- Leadership potential as well as sensitivity to those around him/her;
- Ability to commit the necessary time and to successfully carry out responsibilities of the position;
- A tolerance for and respect of different opinions as well as sensitivity to different cultures;
- Involvement with and contribution to the Faculty of Dentistry and/or the local community;
- Academic standing through previous studies;
- Work ethics.
The selection will also be done to reflect the diversity of the student body. The available seats for the upcoming academic year 2018-2019 will be posted soon.
Much of the individual participation in activities can be worked around Ambassadors’ class, clinic and study schedules. Every ambassador will need to sign an Activity Form indicating their commitment to a list of activities for the academic year. Please note that if your contribution as Student Ambassador is not established after the first year of your mandate, it will not be renewed.
Student representatives sitting on the Admissions Committee are not eligible to apply to the Student Ambassador Program.
What are the benefits of being a Student Ambassador?
- Recognition of their contribution on the Dean’s letter;
- Mentorship opportunities with incoming and prospective students;
- Opportunity to work with and learn from the Faculty’s staff;
- Unique experience in public relations (meeting people, public speaking, representing the Faculty) which helps develop skills and confidence vital to success in career advancement;
- Satisfaction in becoming a positive role model.
- Possibility to apply as Student Representative on the Admissions Committee.
For more information about the Dentistry Student Ambassador Program, please contact our Admissions and Recruitment Officer:
marie-claude.loignon [at] mcgill.ca or 514 398-7090