What We Offer
Programs and Services
- Individual Appointments and Mock Interviews: Students can schedule appointments with our qualified and experienced Career Advisors at any point during the year for assistance with their career exploration, help preparing for an interview, C.V. and Cover Letter review and more. CaPS is here to help make their job search and career planning less stressful and more effective.
- Career Development Workshops: Throughout the academic year, workshops are offered on many topics, including interviewing, C.V. writing and networking. They are designed to increase students’ employability and job search savvy.
- Career Fairs: Career fairs are organized throughout the year in partnership with student associations, and provide excellent opportunities for students to meet company representatives from a variety of industries.
- Professionals on Campus: A wide range of professionals come to campus throughout the year to participate in panel discussions and deliver company information sessions. These networking events are a great resource for students looking to explore career options, increase their occupational knowledge and build contacts in their field of interest. Events are publicized in the CaPSScoop with registration through myFuture.
- Campus Recruitment: Each year in early fall, companies from a range of sectors – primarily Consulting, Finance, Engineering and Information Technology – come to campus to recruit students for summer and post-graduation opportunities.
- C.V. and Advising Drop-In: Students can drop by the CaPS office during a daily designated time to have their C.V. reviewed by a Career Advisor or trained Peer Educator. Advising drop-in times are also available for quick questions.
- Career Resource Centre: The Resource Centre offers a wide array of print and electronic resources on career planning, industry reports, scholarships, international opportunities, graduate programs and more.
- Job Finding Club: Designed for newly-graduated students, this two-week program teaches job seekers the most effective means of finding work in the field in which they want to be employed. The program is offered every year in February, May and August.
- McGill Mentor Program: Ideal for students looking to explore careers of interest, the McGill Mentor Program connects students with working McGill alumni who can offer valuable advice about their career path, job requirements and career-life balance.
- P.A.C.E. (Program for the Advancement of Career Education): An interactive program designed to help students explore career options, personal goals, values, interests and skills. Ideal for first-year students and those unsure of what they want to do with their degrees.
Career Planning Online
- CaPS Website: The CaPS website is our “how-to” site, focused on career education for McGill students. It includes a wealth of information on career exploration and planning, graduate and professional programs and the job search process, as well as links to useful external websites.
- myFuture: myFuture is our active job search and career tools suite – an efficient way to search for full-time, part-time, summer and internship positions. myFuture is also where students go to register for CaPS workshops and career-related events.
- Bridge - Worldwide Music Connection: Online access to 3,000 opportunities in music, arts administration, teaching positions, auditions, competitions, grants, scholarships and festivals.
- Career Cruising: An interactive career resource designed to help students explore a broad range of career options, plan future education and training and find the right career.
- MyWorldAbroad: Access to the world’s best international career guides with expert advice, 4,000 searchable resources, 250 expert articles, 70+ inspiring student stories and much more.
- Vault Career Insider: Career and employer profiles, industry overviews, advice articles, an internship database and much more.
- GoinGlobal: Going Global provides over 100,000 worldwide job and internship listings, as well as employer profiles. Information on specific countries and American cities is also provided.