The Osler Graduate/ Postdoctoral Research Travel Award provides support for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from McGill or ZNZ to travel to Oxford in order to undertake research to advance their scientific expertise. The award is valued to a maximum of £3200 and is tenable only in the term in which the travel is occurring.
Eligible individuals (See terms of reference below) may apply in writing including all required information to Dr Nicholas Irving (nicholas.irving [at] ndcn.ox.ac.uk). The deadline for applications is 30th April 2019. A decision on funding will be made by the end of May 2019 and funds will be available for use by the end of June 2019.
Terms of Reference
- The Osler Graduate/Postdoctoral Travel Award is intended for graduate students/postdoctoral fellows who must travel to undertake research required for their program of study/research.
- The Award is valued up to a maximum of £3200. The duration of the research trip must be a minimum of one month to a maximum of four consecutive months. The award value will be prorated depending on the duration of the research trip and its location.
- To be eligible to hold this Award, a student must be registered at McGill or ZNZ as a full-time, regular student (not “on-leave” or “part-time”) and in good standing in a master’s or doctoral program in the term for which the award is held. If applying as a postdoctoral fellow, applicants must be less than 4 years after obtaining their doctoral degree at the time of application.
- The following categories of activities will not be supported:
• Instructional activity (courses, field schools, training programs)
• Conferences, seminars, working groups, etc
• Travel to paid employment (co-op terms, internships, research assistantships, etc.)
- Recipients of the Award may accept other scholarship support from external sources.
- Applications should be made in writing, including the following information:
• The name and contact information of the host supervisor, and name and location of the Department where you intend to pursue your research/study activities.
• A CV including examination grades, publications and awards received.
• A statement of the research to be conducted, including description of research, relevance, contribution to the student’s development as a researcher, and justification for travel (maximum 2 pages).
• A letter of support from the senior supervisor, indicating the relevance of travel to the research and their permission.
• A one-page budget summary, including dates of travel, travel costs, accommodation, and living expenses. (It is not necessary for these costs to equal or exceed the value of the award.) It is assumed that successful applicants will stay in college accommodation arranged by Oxford Neuroscience at a cost of £18/night. Should college accommodation not be available the award may be increased at the discretion of the organisers to cover reasonable accommodation costs.
• A letter of invitation and agreement from the host lab at Oxford.
- Awards are made by the Oxford Neuroscience Awards Committee and adjudicated based on the following criteria:
• Academic ability, based on exam grades and publications.
• The research proposal.
• The contribution of travel to the development of the student/researcher as a researcher.
- Preference will be made to projects in the Biomedical Sciences and related to brain diseases and
- Eligible individuals must submit all the documentation required directly to Nicholas Irving (nicholas.irving [at] ndcn.ox.ac.uk) by the deadline - 30th April 2019.
- Recipients of the award do not need to account for travel expenses.
- Students will be required to submit a short report of their activities after the travel has been completed. Failure to do so will result in a reduction of future awards made to the recipient’s program/department
- If planned research travel is delayed, a recipient may postpone the award only as far as the spring semester of the year following the application.
For Oxford, all PI information can be accessed via:
Click here for a PDF version of this page: