Renting a Vehicle

Detailed Procedures:Booking Vehicles


Rental throughout Canada
  1. Enterprise
  2. Hertz

Directly on their McGill landing pages or through Vision Travel/VisionLink (same rates apply)

Rental outside of Canada
  1. Vision Travel / VisionLink
  2. CAUBO Canadian Association of University Business Officers

Important Information

Read before renting a vehicle for a university related activity

  1. It is the responsibility of the traveler to ensure that all drivers have the appropriate licenses to drive the rented vehicle and that adequate insurance is in place to cover both 3rd Party Liability and Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

  2. McGill’s Risk Management and Insurance Unit strongly recommend the purchase of both 3rd Party Liability and Collision Damage Waiver insurance from the rental company

The following should be taken into consideration at the time of renting a vehicle:

a. If paying with the McGill issued American Express Corporate Card (AMEX) the Collision Damage Waiver insurance is covered by AMEX in North America ONLY. No need to buy CDW. If renting a vehicle outside of North America please contact Royal Sun Alliance ~1-800-243-0198 (the Underwriting Department of AMEX) to clarify coverage in the country where you are picking up the vehicle. PDF icon AMEX Insurance Booklet

b. If renting through the McGill Enterprise agreement, the 3rd Party Liability insurance is included. No need to buy 3rd Party Liability. EXCEPTION: If driving within the States of New Hampshire or Mississippi, you must purchase 3rd Party Liability insurance from Enterprise prior to departure

c. If renting a vehicle for more than 30 consecutive days in North America it can be insured under the University’s Automobile Insurance Policy by contacting Risk Management and Insurance - [at]

d. If renting a vehicle for more than 14 days, consider off-airport pick-up which may reduce the rental costs considerably