Tour of Cabane à Sucre/Sugar Shack, Sunday March 29, 2009
An afternoon of ‘Maple fun’ for Montreal’s Information Studies students, staff, faculty members and friends is scheduled for March 29th, 10:30am-3:30 pm, at La Goudrelle, Mont St-Gregoire. Contact emilie [dot] paquin [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca (Émilie Paquin) for more information.
Student Group Fundraiser: Candygram sale, Feb 9-10, 2009
During Valentine's week, the ABQLA sold candy grams to raise money for upcoming events. Thanks to all the students who shared their love by buying cards and candy for their friends. We raised about $50!
Guest speaker JoAnne Turnbull, General Director of Réseau Biblio of the Laurentians, Feb 5, 2009
The McGill Student Chapter would like to thank JoAnne Turnbull for her inspiring talk at McGill's School of Information Studies on February 5th, 2009. JoAnne shared insights based on her career experiences in several different types of libraries with a group of aspiring information professionals in a well-attended lunch session. Some of the points to take home included:
- Every job path offers many opportunities, keep your mind open!
- You learn by making mistakes. If you don't take on the challenges, you'll never know what you're capable of.
- It isn't the end of the world to make career mistakes. You learn about yourself.
- Even if you think you don't have the 'right background' for a job, try for it. You may be pleasantly surprised.
- There are two broad types of librarians: generalists and the detail-oriented. Which one are you?
- A speeding ticket can really change your career!
JoAnne also talked to us about the Réseau Biblio du Québec (http://www.reseaubiblioduquebec.qc.ca), which serves a network of 800 libraries. As General Director of the Réseau's Laurentians region, she describes her work as a "good kind of demanding". Their team supports small libraries through collection and technical support, computer services, and development including programming, training, and strategic planning. Busy!
Listening to JoAnne, it became clear that versatility and dynamism are the underpinnings of a fantastic career in libraries. We're grateful for her taking the time to come down to McGill on such a cold day!
- Guided tour of the Bibliothèque et Archives Nationale du Québec
- Social event with EBSI students
- Guest speaker, Mary Moroska, on School Libraries in Montreal