PROGRAM FEE: $9,100 CDN
LOCATION: Bellairs Research Institute, Barbados, WI
- Meals (two meals/day (lunch, supper) during the week (Monday-Friday).
- Accommodation (2-3 students/room), laundry, kitchen access, computer room access.
The program fee does not include airfare, tuition, immunizations, health insurance, entry visas* and some meals.
*Entry visas are not required for citizens of Canada and the USA, but are required for citizens of some other countries.
The program fees are non refundable. Unless for unseen circumstances and with the support of valid documentation (i.e medical note) a withdrawal from the program is inevitable, a decision about possible refund would be undertaken.
- $1,000.00 deposit: once accepted in the program, the deposit must be paid by February 21, 2018 and is NON-REFUNDABLE .
- Final payment (balance of the program fee) must be paid by March 9, 2018.
Please make both the deposit and balance payments to your McGill student account, in the same way you usually pay tuition.
For further information on procedures for payment of fees go to the Student Accounts website.
Do not wait for or expect to see specific charges for these. Once a payment is made, please send an email to student.accounts [at] mcgill.ca (Student Accounts) with a subject of BITS – deposit or BITS – balance. The body of your email should include your student ID number. Also, please copy this email to bsc-advisor.agenvsc [at] mcgill.ca (Julie Major.)
The Basic Mobility Award is offered to all McGill students accepted to BITS field study summer 2018.
Laboratories Without Borders Award ($900)
This award is generously supported by the McGill Commitment.
- Enriched Educational Opportunities Bursaries (EEOs) now available for Field Semesters
Are you interested in the BITS program but concerned about covering the extra costs?
If you are a full-time undergraduate already receiving need-based aid from a government student financial assistance program and/or McGill’s Bursary & Loan Program, you may qualify for a bursary to help defray these costs! For more information and how to apply: http://www.mcgill.ca/studentaid/other-funding/eeo
If you are between 18 and 35 years old, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and have been living in Quebec for at least one year, you may receive funding for your project (once you show proof of acceptance to the BITS program).
Vivian Lewin Field Study Endowment Award
To be awarded to meritorious MSE undergraduate students on a 3-year rotational cycle basis. This year a student from the Faculty of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences (FAES) will be awarded $550. The award supports students who wish to take a McGill recognized field study abroad program OR have a pre-arranged independent course or honours course that involves field research abroad.
If you are in the Faculty of Arts and your project is organized through the Faculty of Arts Internship Program, check the Arts Internship Awards.
Schull Yang International Experience Award - This award is open to students in the Faculty of Arts participating in the BITS program. Value: $2000
The Schull Yang International Experience Award, supported by Joseph Schull (BA ‘82, MA ’85) and Anna Yang (BCL , LLB ’88), helps students gain first hand international experience related to their fields of study. The award is meant to provide partial funding to assist students with travel and other expenses related to their international experience. The Schull Yang International Experience Award is part of the McGill International Experience Awards initiative.
- Must be accepted to the McGill Barbados Interdisciplinary Tropical Studies.
- Must be a full-time undergraduate McGill student, B.A., B.A. & Sc.
- Must be returning to McGill in fall 2018.
- Must have a minimum CGPA of 3.0.
- Letter of intent highlighting how the international activity is related to your studies, what you will gain from this opportunity, and how the award will impact you (max. 350 words).
- An updated curriculum vitae (1-2 pages).
- Copy of unofficial McGill transcript.
Student must submit electronic applications by email to ion [at] mcgill.ca. Applications should consist of 1 PDF or Word document. Please use the following file-name format: firstname.lastname_ssgreece (ex.: james.mcgill_ssgreece.pdf). Only applications received from students’ official email account will be considered.
Application deadline: March 15, 2018