McGill’s analog telephone system is being replaced by a modern voice over IP system, provided by Cisco Webex technology. The Webex app has calling features that will complement McGill’s existing communication tools (MS Teams, Webex Meetings and Zoom), allowing employees to make phone calls to numbers both inside and outside McGill.
When used on campus, audio and video data will be streamed across McGill's newly upgraded network infrastructure, which focuses on high speed and quality.
- Keep your existing McGill phone number, unless you have an extension (e.g., 514-398-4400 ext. XXXXX)
- McGill's searchable staff directory will be accessible from the physical desk phone and softphone app on your computer.
- Place audio calls to external numbers within Canada and the U.S.
- Include video on calls between Webex users (similar to MS Teams).
- Easy to put calls on hold, transfer to another party, and add multiple participants.
- View missed calls and retrieve voice messages (recorded messages also available from Outlook).
- Forward calls to another number or set up "single number reach" to answer calls on another phone.
Features available on request:
- International long distance calling plan
- Multiple lines associated to one account (primarily for administrative assistants who take calls from multiple numbers for their department)
- Interactive voice menus, round robin, shared lines.
Physical phones versus softphones
McGill IT Services will replace existing phones with one of two options:
- Physical desk phone - keypad with a digital display; allows traditional audio calling
- Headset (microphone and speakers) - allows audio calling, as well as instant messaging, video conferencing, screen sharing, audience polling
Departments may choose to purchase additional phones or headsets for employees who wish to use both.