McGill’s analog telephone system is being replaced by a modern voice over IP system, provided by Cisco Webex technology. The Webex app has calling features that will complement McGill’s existing communication tools (MS Teams, Webex Meetings and Zoom), allowing employees to make phone calls to numbers both inside and outside McGill.
When used on campus, audio and video data will be streamed across McGill's newly upgraded network infrastructure, which focuses on high speed and quality.
- If you have a direct 10-digit McGIll phone number, you will keep your existing number. However, if your current number can only be reached by dialing 514-398-4400 and entering an extension, you will receive a new direct 10-digit phone number.
- McGill's searchable staff directory will be accessible from the physical desk phone and softphone app on your computer.
- Place audio calls to external numbers within Canada and the U.S.
- Include video on calls between Webex users (similar to MS Teams).
- Easy to put calls on hold, transfer to another party, and add multiple participants.
- View missed calls and retrieve voice messages (recorded messages also available from Outlook).
- Forward calls to another number or set up "single number reach" (allows you to specify one or more phone numbers, where your McGill calls will ring simultaneously) to answer calls on another phone.
Features available on request:
- International long distance calling plan
- Multiple lines associated to one account (primarily for administrative assistants who take calls from multiple numbers for their department)
- Interactive voice menus, hunt groups, shared lines.