Social Work (SWRK)
- School of Social Work
- Wilson Hall, Suite 300
- 3506 University Street
- Montreal QC H3A 2A7
- Telephone: 514-398-7070
- Fax: 514-398-4760
- Email: undergraduate.socialwork [at] mcgill.ca
- Website: www.mcgill.ca/socialwork
About Social Work
About Social Work
The School of Social Work offers an undergraduate program leading to a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree. The B.S.W. program:
- prepares students for generalist social work practice in a range of health and social service positions (the B.S.W. represents the point of admission into the Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec (OTSTCFQ) and the Canadian Association of Social Workers);
- prepares students for entry into specialized professional studies at the graduate level.
A 90-credit program is offered to students entering from CEGEP or equivalent, students who transfer from within McGill or other universities, and mature students. For more information, refer to the School's website.
For Graduates intending to practice social work in Quebec, please note that Quebec law requires candidates seeking admission to the professional social work order of Quebec (OTSTCFQ) to demonstrate a working knowledge of the French language. For more information, please see our Working in Quebec page.
Applications are encouraged from persons of diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal Peoples, members of minority groups, and persons with low income.
The objectives of the B.S.W. program are to provide an academic environment where students can develop:
- integrated social work knowledge pertaining to history, theory, research, practice modalities, and policies that influence the delivery of health and social services;
- professional skills in well-established methods of practice with individuals, families, and groups in communities and organizations;
- understanding of the factors, processes, and forces that form and govern social policy in Canada, and the skills to work toward policy improvement and change;
- awareness of various dimensions of diversity and how they intersect in an increasingly heterogeneous society;
- a sense of identity as an intervening agent in social work practice and a sense of responsibility that accompanies acts of intervention; and
- a commitment to advancing knowledge and improving skills within ethical social work practice that are the prerequisites for more advanced studies at the graduate level.
Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) – Three-Year Program – Admission
The BSW program supports diversity and encourages applications from a wide variety of people, including members of minority groups and individuals with low income. Applications from CEGEP, French and International Baccalaureate, transfer, and mature students are welcome. Admission to the BSW program is limited and competitive. All candidates are expected to have better than average grades, significant social-work-related experience, paid or volunteer, and also to demonstrate personal suitability for the social work profession. Classes are offered in English, but French proficiency (comprehension, spoken, and written) is needed for local field placements and for securing admission to the OTSTCFQ.
Social Work Faculty
Social Work Faculty
|Cindy Blackstock; B.A.(Br. Col.), M.B.A.(McG.), Ph.D.(Tor.)|
|Myriam Denov; B.A.(Tor.), B.S.W.(McG.), M.A.(Ott.), Ph.D.(Camb.)|
|Michael MacKenzie; B.Sc., M.Sc.(UWO), M.S.W., M.A., Ph.D.(Mich.)|
|James Torczyner; B.H.L.(Yeshiva), M.S.W., D.S.W.(Calif., Berk.)|
|Nico Trocmé; B.A., M.S.W., Ph.D.(Tor.) (The Philip Fisher Chair in Social Work)|
|Sharon Bond; B.A.(Sir G. Wms.), B.Sc.(Montr.), M.S.W., Ph.D.(McG.)|
|Shari Brotman; B.S.W., M.S.W.(McG.), Ph.D.(Tor.)|
|Delphine Collin-Vézina; B.Sc., Ph.D.(Montr.)|
|Sydney Duder; B.Sc., M.S.W., Dipl. Adv. Soc. Wk. Practice, Ph.D.(McG.)|
|Jill Hanley; B.A., B.S.W.(McG.), M.A.(Tufts), Ph.D.(Montr.)|
|Nicole Ives; B.A.(Barnard), M.S.W., Ph.D.(Penn.)|
|Julia Krane; B.A.(Ott.), B.S.W.(McG.), M.S.W., Ph.D.(Tor.)|
|Lucyna Lach; B.A., M.S.W., Ph.D.(Tor.)|
|Heather MacIntosh; B.A., Ph.D.(Ott.)|
|Tamara Sussman; B.A., B.S.W., M.S.W.(McG.), Ph.D.(Tor.)|
|Alicia Boatswain-Kyte, B.S.W., M.S.W.(McG.), PhD.(Montr.)|
|Régine Debrose; B.Sc.(Montr.), M.Sc., Ph.D.(McG)|
|Wanda Gabriel; B.S.W., M.S.W.(McG.)|
|Zack Marshall; B.A.(McG.), M.S.W.(W. Laur.), Ph.D.(Nfld.)|
|Katherine Maurer; B.A.(Minn.), M.S.W.(Hunter), Ph.D.(NYU)|
|Pam Orzeck; B.A., M.S.W.(McG.), Ph.D.(Laval)|
|Marjorie Rabiau; B.Sc.(Alta.), Ph.D.(McG.)|
|Coordinator of Field Education|
|Francine Granner; B.S.W., M.S.W.(McG.)|
Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) - Social Work (Three-Year Program) (90 credits)
Field Practicum ...
For more information, see Social Work (Three-Year Program) (90 credits).