Subscribe to the OSS Weekly Newsletter!

False fingernails have a lot of chemistry behind them

False fingernails can present problems.  Some people develop allergies to the adhesive, a variety of Crazy Glue, that is used to afix them.  This can result in breathing problems, watery eyes and congestion.  The nails are usually made of poly(acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene), a flammable plastic  which has roughly the same flexibility and stiffness as fingernails.  At the temperature of a candle flame, this plastic can ignite in a second to produce a fiery ball of molten plastic that sticks to the finger.  So be careful with those romantic candle-light dinners.

Back to top