- To recognize the excellence of research done at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of McGill University by undergraduate (B.Sc.) and graduate students (M.Sc., Ph.D.), post doctoral fellows, and residents in all fields and disciplines covered by the Faculty.
- To promote careers in health research.
- $500 per award (as of January 2012)
- Adjudicated in two periods each year (Jan-June, July-Dec)
- Maximum of 12 awards per submission period
- Recipients of the MedStar award will be notified the month proceeding the end of each award period.
Eligibility and selection criteria
- The award is based on a research article recently published as first author by a trainee (B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., PDF, Resident) in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences of McGill University or one of its affiliated hospitals or research institutes
- January to June period--articles that was published during January to June of the same year should be submitted for our review
- July to December period--articles that was published during July to December of the same year should be submitted for our review
- In the case of equal first co-authors, the prize will be divided equally between the two trainees
- Must be health research from any fields with a likelihood of high impact
- Multidisciplinary research and cross-pillars (basic, clinical, health services, population health) are a plus
- Preferably a paper published in a high impact journal in the field
- Award will not be given to previous MedStar winners (one given per degree level)
- Applicant must be a registered McGill student during the application period and also the following term to be able to release the payment if successful
- Applications will be accepted at any time. Awards will be announced in March and August.
Who can submit:
- Undergraduate and graduate students, post doctoral fellows or residents can submit their own article
- Supervisor or co-investigator involved in the research
- Article can be submitted only once
What is needed?
- A PDF file of the published article (must be published during the January-June and July-December period - manuscripts in press or submitted are not acceptable).
- A paragraph on the significance of the research
- A short c.v. of the trainee (biosketch format)