2021-22 Application Dates and Deadlines
- September 15, 2020 Applications open.
- March 1, 2021 Deadline for completing your application, including submission of all supporting documents.
- Please note: Entrance to the MPP program is highly competitive. It is in the applicant's interest to apply as early as possible. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so the earlier a file is complete, the sooner the applicant may expect to receive an answer.
2021-22 Admission Requirements
The MPP program is directed at early career professionals, ideally with two to five years professional experience, who are interested in developing expertise in the field of public policy. Recent graduates with an exceptional academic record will also be considered however, in the absence of professional experience, more weight will be placed on the applicants’ academic record.
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent as recognised by McGill University) is a minimum requirement.
- The 'ideal' applicant will have completed undergraduate courses in Political Science, Economics, Quantitative Methods, and/or Statistics.
- An overall Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.6/4.0 or higher is recommended. A minimum (CGPA) of 3.0 (out of a possible 4.0), OR a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 out of 4.0 in the last two years of full-time studies is required.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's degree outside Canada, the United States, Australia, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom, are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 100 for the Internet-based TOEFL exam test (iBT; 600 for the paper-based test (PBT)) with each component score not less than 20 is required. Please use the codes McGill 0935 when writing the exam.
- Applicants may write the IELTS (International English Language Testing Systems) instead of the TOEFL exam. A minimum overall band of 7.0 is required, with each component score not less than 7.0. IELTS test scores must be sent electronically by IELTS directly to McGill University using the McGill code 0935.
- English language proficiency exemptions: https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/international/apply/proficiency
2021-22 Application Procedures
McGill’s online application form for graduate program candidates is available at: https://www.mcgill.ca/uapply
For detailed application procedures: www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply
- Personal Statement (1,000 words). Your essay should explain why your background makes you an ideal candidate for the Max Bell MPP program, and how success in this program will enable you to achieve your professional goals
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Reference Letters (2 required). Ideally one from an academic and one from a professional
- TOEFL or IELTS score written within the past two years (where applicable)
- The Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) test score is NOT a requirement