Zhuoran Wanag, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Andrea Paolella*, Raynald Gauvin*, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2020, A Sustainable Light-Chargeable Two-Electrode Energy Storage System based on Aqueous Sodium-Ion Photo-Intercalation", Sustainable Energy & Fuels (in press; DOI:10.1039/D0SE00628A.)
Articles in refereed journals
Mariana Llanos; Rana Yekani; George P. Demopoulos, Niladri Basu*, 2020, Alternatives Assessment of Perovskite Solar Cell Materials and their Methods of Fabrication, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 133 (2020) 110207
1. Majid Rasool, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Benjamin Zank, Yan Zeng, Jigang Zhou*, Karim Zaghib*, Dmitrii F. Perepichka*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2020, PEDOT encapsulated and mechanochemically engineered silicate nanocrystals for high energy density cathodes, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2020, 2000226; DOI: 10.1002/admi.202000226
2. Konstantina Chalastara, Fuqiang Guo, George P. Demopoulos, 2020, Tunable composition aqueous-synthesized mixed-phase TiO2 nanocrystals for photo-assisted water decontamination: comparison of anatase, brookite and rutile photocatalysts, Catalysts, 2020, 10, 407; http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/catal10040407
3. Andrea Paolella*, Wen Zhu, Giovanni Bertoni, Alexis Perea, Hendrix Demers, Sylvio Savoie, Gabriel Girard, Amelie Forand, Alina Gheorghe Nita, Pascale Chevalier, Nicolas Delaporte, Ashok Vijh, Abdelbast Guerfi, George P. Demopoulos, Henning Lorrmann, and Karim Zaghib*, 2020, Towards an all-ceramic cathode–electrolyte interface with low-temperature pressed Li1+xAlxGe2-x(PO4)3 ceramic, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 2020, 2000164
4. Majid Rasool, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Raynald Gauvin*, De-Tong Jiang*, Jigang Zhou*, Dominic Ryan*, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2020, Unusual Li-ion intercalation activation with stepwise capacity increase in orthosilicates, J. Phys. Chem. C (in press): DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b11896
5. Francois Larouche, Farouk Tedjar, Kamyab Amouzegar, Georges Houlachi, Patrick Bouchard, George P. Demopoulos, Karim Zaghib*, 2020, Progress and status of hydrometallurgical and direct recycling of Li-ion batteries and beyond”, Materials, 2020, 13, 801; http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ma13030801 (Among Top 10 Downloaded papers in Jan-March)
6. Yan Zeng, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Bin Ouyang, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2020, Defect Engineering of Fe-Rich Orthosilicate Cathode Materials with Enhanced Li-Ion Intercalation Capacity and Kinetics, ACS Applied Energy Materials, 2020, 3, 675−686
7. Marianna Uceda, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Raynald Gauvin*, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2019, Electrophoretically co-deposited Li4Ti5O12/reduced graphene oxide nanolayered composites for high-performance battery application, Energy Storage Materials, 26 (2020) 560-569.
8. Yan Zeng, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Bin Ouyang, Jun Song, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, Unveiling the mechanism of improved capacity retention in Pmn21 Li2FeSiO4 cathode by cobalt substitution, J. Materials Chem. A 2019, 7, 25399 – 25414.
9. Han Wang, Amrita Yasin, Nathaniel J. Quitoriano*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2019, Aqueous-based Binary Sulfide Nanoparticle Inks for Cu2ZnSnS4 Thin Films Stabilized with Tin(IV) Chalcogenide Complexes, Nanomaterials, 9, 1382; doi:10.3390/nano9101382
10. Z. Wang, N. Brodusch, R. Gauvin*, G.P. Demopoulos, 2019, New Insights into Sulfurized and Selenized Kesterite-Titania Nanostructures for CdS-free and HTM-free Photovoltaic and Voltage-Modulated Photodetecting Applications", ACS Sust. Chem. Eng. 7, 15093−15101.
11. Fuqiang Guo, Qiankun Wang, George P. Demopoulos, 2019, Kinetics of Iron(III)-Catalyzed Oxidation of Arsenic(III) in Acidic Solutions with SO2/O2 Gas Mixture Using Different Iron Sources, Hydrometallurgy, 189, #10531 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2019.105130)
12. Majid Rasool, Xia Lu, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Frédéric Voisard, Raynald Gauvin*, De-Tong Jiang*, Andrea Paolella, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2019, Mechanochemically-tuned structural annealing: a new pathway to enhancing Li-ion intercalation activity in nanosized βII Li2FeSiO4, J Mater. Chem. A. 2019, 7, 13705 - 13713
13. Zhuoran Wang; Hsien-Chieh Chiu; Andrea Paolella; Karim Zaghib*; George P Demopoulos, 2019, Lithium Photo-Intercalation of CdS-Sensitized WO3 Anode for Energy Storage and Photoelectrochromic Applications, ChemSusChem, 2019, 12, 1 – 12.
14. Marianna Uceda, Jigang Zhou*, Jian Wang, R. Gauvin*, Karim Zaghib*, and G. P. Demopoulos, 2019, Highly Conductive NMP-free Carbon-Coated Nano-Lithium Titanate/Carbon Composite Electrodes via SBR-Assisted Electrophoretic Deposition, Electrochimica Acta, 299, 107-115.
Yan Zeng, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Majid Rasool, Nicolas Brodusch, Raynald Gauvin*, De-Tong Jiang*, Dominic Ryan*, Karim Zaghib*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2019, Hydrothermal Crystallization of Pmn21 Li2FeSiO4 Hollow Mesocrystals for Li-Ion Cathode Application, Chem. Eng. J., 359, 1592-1602.
Z. Wang, N. Brodusch, R. Gauvin*, G.P. Demopoulos, 2018, Lithium-Doped Cu2ZnSnS4 Superstrate Solar Cells with 5 % Efficiency – An Alternative to Thin film Kesterite Photovoltaics, Nano Energy, 53, 130-134.
Bin Wei, Xia Lu, F. Voisard, H. Wei, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Y. Ji, Han Xiaodong, M. Trudeau*, Karim Zaghib*, G.P. Demopoulos, R. Gauvin*, 2018, "In-situ TEM Investigation of Electron Irradiation-Induced Metastable States in Lithium-Ion Battery Cathodes: Li2FeSiO4 versus LiFePO4", ACS Applied Energy Materials, 1 (7) 3180-3189.
Zhuoran Wang, Nicolas Brodusch, Raynald Gauvin*, and George P. Demopoulos, 2018, Nanoengineering of the Cu2ZnSnS4-TiO2 Interface via Atomic Layer Deposition of Al2O3 for High Sensitivity Photodetectors and Solid State Solar Cells, J. Mat. Chem. A 6, 11507-11520
H. Wei, X. Lu, H. Chiu, B. Wei, R. Gauvin*, Z. Arthur, V. Emond, D. Jiang*, K. Zaghib*, and G. P. Demopoulos, 2018, Ethylenediamine-enabled sustainable synthesis of mesoporous nanostructured Li2FeIISiO4 particles from Fe(III) aqueous solution for Li-ion battery application, ACS Sust. Chem. Eng. 2018, 6 (6), pp 7458–7467
Zhuoran Wang, R. Gauvin and G.P. Demopoulos, 2017, Nanostructural and Photo-electrochemical Properties of Solution Spin-Coated Cu2ZnSnS4 - TiO2 Nanorod Forest Films with Improved Photovoltaic Properties, Nanoscale, 2017, 9, 7650 – 7665.
Andrea Paolella, Cyril Faure, Giovanni Bertoni, Sergio Marras, Mirko Prato, Pierre Hovington, Abdelbast Guerfi, Basile Commarieu, Zhuoran Wang, Chandramohan George, Zimin Feng, George P. Demopoulos, Michel Armand and Karim Zaghib, 2017, Light-assisted delithiation of LiFePO4 towards photo-rechargeable Li-ion batteries, Nature Communications 8, Article number: 14643 (2017); doi: 10.1038/ncomms14643.
R. Multani, T. Feldmann, G.P. Demopoulos, 2017, Removal of antimony from concentrated solutions with focus on tripuhyite (FeSbO4) synthesis, characterization and stability, Hydrometallurgy 169 (2017) 263–274.
Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Xia Lu, Jigang Zhou, Lin Gu, Joel Reid, Raynald Gauvin, Karim Zaghib, and George P. Demopoulos, 2017, Annealing-regulated elimination of residual strain-induced structural relaxation for stable high-power Li4Ti5O12 nanosheet anodes, Nano Energy 32 (2017) 533–541.
Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Xia Lu, Jigang Zhou, Lin Gu, Joel Reid, Raynald Gauvin, Karim Zaghib and George P. Demopoulos, 2017, Capacity Fade Mechanism of Li4Ti5O12 Nanosheet Anode, Adv. Energy Mat., 2017, 7, 1601825; DOI 10.1002/aenm.201601825.
Xia Lu, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Zachary Arthur, Jigang Zhou, Ning Chen, De-Tong Jiang, Karim Zaghib, and George P. Demopoulos, 2016, Li-ion storage dynamics in metastable nanostructured Li2FeSiO4 cathode: Antisite-induced phase transition and lattice oxygen participation, J. Power Sources, 329 (2016) 355-363.
Zhuoran Wang, Samir Elouatik and G.P. Demopoulos, 2016, Understanding the Phase Formation Kinetics of Nano-Crystalline Kesterite Deposited on Mesoscopic Scaffold via In-Situ Multi-Wavelength Raman Monitored Annealing, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2016, 18, 29435 – 29446.
A. Yasin, F. Guo, M. Sussman, R. Gauvin, G.P. Demopoulos, 2016, Steady-state scaleable production of mesoporous rutile and brookite particles and their use in energy conversión and storage cells, ChemNanoMat, 2(10): 980-988.
Hsien-Chieh Chiu, Xia Lu, Samir Elouatik, and George P. Demopoulos, 2016, Formation of lithium titanate hydrate nanosheets: insight into 2D growth mechanism by in-situ Raman, Crystal Growth & Design, 16(7): 3898-3904.
R. Multani, T. Feldmann, G.P. Demopoulos, 2016, Antimony in the metallurgical industry : a review of its chemistry and environmental stabilization options, Hydrometallurgy, 164, 141-15.
Zhuoran Wang, G.P. Demopoulos, 2016, Nanoscale Photo-Absorbing Kesterite Grown on Anatase Mesoscopic Films by Sequential Binary Chalcogenide Solution Deposition-Exchange, Annealing and Etching, Crystal Growth & Design, 16(7): 3618-3630.
X. Lu, H-C Chiu, K. Bevan, D. T. Jiang, K. Zaghib, G.P. Demopoulos, 2016, Density functional theory insight into the structure stability and Li diffusion properties of monoclinic and orthorhombic Li2FeSiO4 cathodes, J Power Sources, 318 (2016) 136-145.
Amrita Yasin, Fuqiang Guo, George P. Demopoulos, 2016, Aqueous, screen-printable paste for fabrication of mesoporous composite anatase-rutile TiO2 nanoparticle thin films for (photo)electrochemical devices, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 4 (4), 2173–2181.
Andrea Paolela, Stuart Turner, Giovanni Bertoni, Pierre Hovington, Roxana Flacana, Chad Boyer, Zimin Feng, Massimo Colombo, Sergio Marra, Mirko Prato, Liberato Manna, Abdelbast Guerfi* , Gustaaf Van Tendeloo, George P. Demopoulos, Michel Armand and Karim Zaghib*, 2016, Removal of Fe-antisite defects while Nanosizing Hydrothermal LiFePO4 with Ca2+, Nano Letters. 2016, 16, 2692−2697.
Christoph Doerfelt, T. Feldmann and G.P. Demopoulos, 2016, Stability of Arsenate-Bearing Fe(III)/Al(III) Co-Precipitates in the Presence of Sulfide as Reducing Agent under Anoxic Conditions, Chemosphere, 151:318-323 (2016).
Karl Leetmaa, Fuqiang Guo, Levente Becze, Mario A. Gomez, George P. Demopoulos, 2016, Stabilization of iron arsenate solids by encapsulation with aluminum hydroxyl gels, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechn. 2016, 91: 408–415.
J. Adelman, S. Elouatik, G.P. Demopoulos, 2015, Investigation of sodium silicate-derived gels as encapsulants for hazardous materials-the case of scorodite, J. Haz. Mat. 292 (2015) 108-117.
Xia Lu, Huijing Wei, Hsien-Chieh Chiu, R. Gauvin, P. Hovington*, A. Guerfi, Karim Zaghib and George P. Demopoulos, 2015, Rate-dependent phase transitions in Li2FeSiO4 cathode nanocrystals, Scientific Reports, 5, 8599; DOI:10.1038/srep08599 (2015).
Thomas Feldmann and George P. Demopoulos, 2015, Water activity-based design of a single-stage CSTR reactive crystallization process for producing super-azeotropic HCl and well grown -calcium sulfate hemihydrate crystals, Hydrometallurgy, 155 (2015) 20-28.
G.P. Demopoulos and Thomas Feldmann, “Production of high-strength hydrochloric acid from calcium chloride feed streams by crystallization”, United States Patent No. 9,783,428; October 10, 2017.
G.P. Demopoulos, Hsien-chieh Chiu, Abdelbast Guerfi, and Karim Zaghib, “Layered and spinel lithium titanate processes for preparing the same”; United States Patent No. 9,825,292; November 21, 2017; Chinese Patent N° ZL201380053085.3 issued on July 10, 2018; Japanese Patent No 6391578 issued Aug. 31, 2018
G.P. Demopoulos, Q. Wang and L. Rosato, “Method for Removing Manganese from Acidic Sulphate Solution”, CA2394631-C, 2006, AU776311-B2, 2004; EP1248863-B1, 2005; DE60019168-E, 2005; MX228566-B, 2005.
1. G.P. Demopoulos et al., 2020, Composition and Interfacial Engineering of Lithium Iron Orthosilicate Cathodes with Superior Intercalation Properties, Symposium: Intercalation Chemistry for Electrochemical Energy Storage Technologies: In Honor of M. Stanley Whittingham, PRIME 2020, The Electrochemical Society, October 7, 2020 (invited)
2. G.P. Demopoulos et al., 2019, Sustainable development of Al-stabilized garnet/polymer nanocomposite electrolytes and cathode nanomaterials for LIBs and ASSBs, Advanced Batteries for Automotive Applications, ABAA12, Ulm, Germany, October.
3. Yan Zeng, Karim Zaghib, George P. Demopoulos, 2019, Enhancing the Structural and Li Transport Properties of Li4-2xFexSiO4 via Composition Engineering, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, Dec 2019.
4. Konstantina Chalastara and G. P. Demopoulos, 2019, Aqueous synthesized mixed-phase nano-TiO2 photocatalysts for water treatment of both organic and inorganic pollutants, 16th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology Rhodes, Greece, September 2019, CEST2019_00772.
5. G.P. Demopoulos, 2019, Nanocrystal engineering of electrode materials for sustainable solar energy harvesting and storage applications, Int’l Conf. from Nanoparticles and Nanomaterials to Nanodevices and Nanosystems, IC4N 2019, Corfu, Greece, July (invited).
G.P. Demopoulos et al., 2018, “ In Situ Conductive Coating Strategies for Nanocrystal-Based Li-Ion Battery electrodes”, Americas International Meeting on Electrochemistry & Solid-State Science, The Electrochemical Society, Cancun, Mexico, October, 2018.
G.P. Demopoulos et al., 2018, “Development of Sustainable Energy Storage Materials for Li-Ion Batteries”, (invited keynote paper), International Conference on Electrochemical Energy Science and Technology (EEST2018), Niagara Falls, ON, August 13-17, 2018.
G.P. Demopoulos et al., 2018, “Nanocrystal engineering of lithium iron orthosilicate cathodes for improved reversible-stable storage and rate capability” (invited), Symposium on Innovative Chemistry, Materials & Characterizations for Electrochemical Energy Storage, held during 256th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Boston, MA, August 19-23, 2018.
G.P. Demopoulos, 2017, Thermal, mechanical, and electrochemical-induced structural changes in Li-ion storage electrodes, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA.
Zhuoran Wang et al., 2017, Solution Spin-coated Cu2ZnSnS4 on TiO2 Nanorod Forest Films with Engineered Interface for High Sensitivity Photodetectors and Solid State Solar Cells, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA.
George P. Demopoulos, 2014, Arsenic Immobilization Research Advances: Past, Present and Future, in Proceedings of Arsenic Metallurgy & the Environment symposium, A. Barnes et al, Editors, COM2014 (paper no 8560, 13p) MetSoc of CIM, Vancouver, B.C., Sept. 2014 (invited keynote paper).
G.P. Demopoulos, From Hydrometallurgy to Advanced Energy Material and Environmental Technology Development: An Odyssey of Research Risks and Opportunities, Hydrometallurgy 2014 Conference, Victoria, BC, June 2014 (invited plenary paper).
François Larouche, George P. Demopoulos, Kamyab Amouzegar, Patrick Bouchard and Karim Zaghib*, 2018, Recycling of Li-Ion and Li-Solid State Batteries: The Role of Hydrometallurgy, in B. Davis et al. (eds.), Extraction 2018, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, 2541-2553, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-95022-8_214
Fuqiang Guo and G.P. Demopoulos, 2018, Development of an Encapsulation Process to Extend the Stability of Scorodite under Wider pH and Redox Potential Range Conditions, in B. Davis et al. (eds.), Extraction 2018, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, 1411-1420; https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-95022-8_115
Konstantina Chalastara and G.P. Demopoulos, 2018, Hydrolytic Precipitation of Nanosized TiO2 Phases for use as Photocatalytic Sorption Media in Effluent Treatment, in B. Davis et al. (eds.), Extraction 2018, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, 1809-1828; https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-95022-8_150
Yan Zeng, Karim Zaghib*, and G.P. Demopoulos, 2018, Hydrothermal Production of Lithium Metal Silicate Powder with Controlled Properties for Application to Li-Ion Batteries in B. Davis et al. (eds.), Extraction 2018, The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series, 2555-2563; https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-95022-8_215