The Schull Yang International Experience Award, supported by Joseph Schull (BA ‘82, MA ’85) and Anna Yang (BCL, LLB ’88), helps undergraduate and graduate students gain first hand international experience related to their fields of study. The award provides full or partial funding to assist students with tuition, travel, and other expenses related to their international experience. The Schull Yang International Experience Award is part of the McGill International Experience Awards. For more information, click here.
This award supports students enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Arts (B.A., B.A & Sc., BSW, B.Th., M.A, MSW, MIS) who have been accepted to participate in one of the following international activities:
- Panama Field Study Semester
- Africa Field Study Semester
- Barbados Field Study Semester
- Barbados Interdisciplinary Tropical Studies
- Summer Studies in Italy
- Summer Studies in Greece
The value of the award is dependent on the applicant’s budget that must be included with the application material.
Generally the value ranges from $1,000 - $4,500.
- Must hold an official acceptance to one of the international activities listed above.
- Must be enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Arts (B.A., B.A & Sc., BSW, B.Th., M.A, MSW, MIS) and returning to the same program at McGill in the semester following the international activity.
- Must have a minimum CGPA of 3.0.
The award application is an online form. You will be asked to sign in with your McGill email and password. Please make sure that you meet all the eligibility criteria before you start an application. When filling the form, please have the following elements ready:
- Personal and academic information.
- International activity information.
- Personal statement explaining your interest in the international activity; how the international activity is related to your field of study and what you hope to gain from the activity (max 750 words), uploaded as a PDF, named in the format "lastname.firstname_ps"
- Updated curriculum vitae.
- Recommendation Letter Applicants must have one letter of recommendation as part of their award application. The letter must be from a McGill professor (faculty member or lecturer). Letters should be no more than 350 words in length and describe the capacity in which your referee knows you (academic, character, work etc.). Letters should be emailed to anne.turner [at] mcgill.ca.
- Unofficial transcript uploaded as a PDF or JPG, named in the format "lastname.firstname_transcript".
- A complete budget outlining expenses related to your international activity using the Budget Template and uploaded as an Excel file named in the format “firstname.last name_budget”.
Africa Field Study Semester: November 6, 2022
Panama Field Study Semester: March 26, 2023
Barbados Field Study Semester, Barbados Interdisciplinary Tropical Studies, Summer Studies in Italy, & Summer Studies in Greece: March 26, 2023
To start the application, click here.
Award Responsibilities are outlined in details in the MIEA Handbook.
You are encouraged to familiarize yourself with these responsibilities before submitting your application.