Arrive at Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier at least 1 hour before your ceremony with your regalia and line-up card
Put on your cap and gown, and line up in order
Follow the student marshal to your seat
Once seated, tear your line-up card in two (2)
When indicated give half of your line-up card to person at the podium
Cross the stage as your name is read, receive tap by
Chancellor or designate at center
Have your photo taken with the Dean
Leave the stage and exchange other half of line-up card for diploma
Return to your seat until end of ceremony
IMPORTANT: Graduands must arrive at Place des Arts ONE HOUR before the ceremony.
Tips for arrival:
- To participate in the ceremony, you must bring your cap and gown (regalia) and line-up card.
- Please arrive ONE HOUR before the ceremony and go directly to Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, Place des Arts, 175 St Catherine Street West, entering at the Place des Arts metro level. If you arrive later, you might not be allowed to cross the stage.
- Leave any valuables with your family and friends.
- Ushers will show you where you can prepare for the ceremony.
- Put on your academic cap and gown, and line up. You will be shown the exact location once you arrive at Place des Arts.
- Follow the signs and use the number on your line-up card to find your place in the procession. You must line up in ascending order - to determine this, refer to the number on your card and ask others in line what their numbers are. This is the order in which you cross the stage and degrees are awarded.
- Marshals and Faculty ambassadors will be on site to assist you in lining up in order.
- Graduands must wear their caps as they enter the venue.
- The hood should be worn with the strap around the neck. The coloured silk lining should lie against your back (refer to the photo below).
Crossing the stage:
- Marshals will indicate to graduands, row by row, when they should stand and leave their seats.
- Graduands are required to wear their cap as they cross the stage.
- Climb the stairs to the stage and give the person standing at the podium half of your line-up card so that your name can be read.
- As soon as your name is read, walk to the centre of the stage and pause in front of the Chancellor or their designate.
- The Chancellor or their designate will tap you on the shoulder.
- Continue across the stage, to have your photo taken with the Dean- don't forget to smile!
- Walk off stage, and give the second half of your line-up card to the faculty ambassador to receive your diploma, before returning to your seat.
- For an idea of what the whole process looks like, watch the Fall 2022 Convocation ceremonies.
Conclusion of ceremony
- You may not leave the venue until the ceremony has concluded.
When the proceedings have concluded, remain standing after the national anthem until the platform party has left the hall.
Follow the ushers' instructions to exit the hall.
Return your regalia at the backstage of Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier, Place des Arts.
You must return your regalia before exiting Place des Arts.