Arrive at Redpath Hall at least 1 hour before
Put on cap and gown, line up in order
Follow student marshal to Convocation Tent
Sit where shown and tear the
line-up card in 2
When indicated give half of line-up card
to person at podium
Cross the stage, receive tap by
Chancellor or designate
Exchange other half of line-up card
Return to your seat until end of ceremony
Watch this video in preparation for your upcoming convocation ceremony.
Tips for arrival:
- To participate in the ceremony, you must bring with you your cap, gown, and line-up card.
- Please arrive ONE HOUR before the ceremony and go directly to Redpath Hall. If you arrive later, you might not be allowed to cross the stage.
- Put on your cap and gown, and line up. You will be shown the exact location once you arrive at Redpath Hall.
- Leave any valuables with your family and friends.
- Follow the signs and use the number on your line-up card to find your place in the procession. You must line up in ascending order in accordance with the number on your card, as that number corresponds to the order in which degrees are awarded.
- Marshals and Faculty ambassadors will be in Redpath Hall to assist you in finding your place.
- You will proceed from Redpath Hall to the Convocation Tent.
- Graduands must wear their caps as they enter the Tent.
- If you are receiving your first degree, remove your cap before crossing the stage. Those earning graduate degrees leave their cap in place.
- The hood should be worn with the strap around the neck. The silk lining of the flat part of the hood should face inwards against the back.
Crossing the stage:
- Marshals will indicate to the graduands, row by row, when they should stand and leave their seats.
- Climb the stairs to the stage and give the person standing at the lectern half of your line-up card so that your name can be read.
- As soon as your card is read, walk to the centre of the stage and pause in front of the Chancellor or their designate.
- If you are receiving your first degree, the Chancellor or their designate will tap you on the head.
- If you already have a degree, the Chancellor or their designate will tap you on the shoulder instead.
- Continue across the stage to shake hands with the Dean or their delegate.
- Walk off stage, and exchange the remaining portion of your line-up card for your diploma.
- Return to your seat.
Conclusion of ceremony
- Please do not leave the venue until the ceremony is over.
- When the proceedings have concluded, remain standing after the national anthem until the platform party has left the hall.