The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Biological and Biomedical Engineering offered by the Department of Bioengineering (Faculty of Engineering) and Biomedical Engineering (Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences) is a research-intensive program that emphasizes stimulating and hands-on learning opportunities. The program's objective is to equip students with skills in critical thinking, knowledge synthesis, and research design to pursue professional opportunities in academia or industry.
Keywords: medical diagnostics, therapeutics, biomedical engineering, modelling, signals, systems, and sensors, imaging, microscopy, bioninformatics, compuational biology; cellular and tissue engineering; biomaterials, machine learning.
Unique Program Features
- The program provides students with advanced training in the interdisciplinary application of methods, paradigms, technologies, and devices from engineering and the natural sciences to problems in biology, medicine, and the life sciences;
- The program will focus in an area of choice while integrating quantitative concepts and engineering tools for the study of life sciences and/or for patient care;
- Faculty members conduct research in various areas including artificial cells and organs, bioinformatics, computational biology, and biocomputation, biological materials and mechanics, biomedical imaging and microscopy, biomedical modelling, biomedical sensors, diagnostics, and therapeutics, biomedical signals and systems, biomolecular and cellular engineering, bioprocess engineering, micro- and nano-bioengineering, systems and synthetic biology;
- Admitted students are guaranteed funding for several years;
- Graduates pursue careers in academia, industry, hospitals and government.
University-Level Admission Requirements
- An eligible Bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA out of a possible 4.0 GPA
- English-language proficiency
Each program has specific admission requirements including required application documents. Please visit the program website for more details.
|Intake||Applications Open||Application Deadline - International||Application Deadline - Domestic (Canadian, Permanent Resident of Canada)|
|FALL||September 15||January 15||February 1|
|WINTER||February 15||August 1||November 1|
Note: Application deadlines are subject to change without notice. Please check the application portal for the most up-to-date information.