McGill Research Centre for Physical Activity and Health (PATH)
2nd Annual Research Symposium
Friday October 2, 2015
McGill Faculty Club, 3450 McTavish [map]
The McGill Research Centre for Physical Activity and Health (PATH), established by McGill University's Faculty of Education in 2012, serves as a focal point for researchers with an interest in promoting health through physical activity. PATH's second annual Research Symposium is organized around the topics of concussion (and other sport-related neurological conditions), and insulin resistance (aetiology, treatment and prevention). We have assembled nine speakers -including four members of PATH- who are experts in these fields, to discuss and present the findings of the newest research on these topics. There is no cost to attend this event. Following the event, wine and cheese will be served until 19:00.
For more information about guest speakers, topics and the schedule, and to RSVP for the Research Symposium, please see below.
Guest speakers, schedule and topics:
Opening Remarks: Julie Côté (Associate Dean Research, Faculty of Education), Russel T. Hepple (Director, McGill Research Centre for Physical Activity & Health); 8:45am - 9:00 am
Concussion and other sport-related neurological conditions
- 09:00 am - 09:40 am: Scott Delaney (Dept. of Medicine, Dept. of Emergency Medicine, McGill Sport Medicine Clinic)
- Concussion in amateur and professional sport
- 09:40 am -10:20 am: Gordon Bloom (PATH, Dept. of Kinesiology & Physical Education, Sport Psychology Research Laboratory)
- Psychological impacts of concussions
- 10:20 am - 10:40 am: Coffee break
- 10:40 am - 11:20 am: David Pearsall (PATH, Dept. of Kinesiology & Physical Education, Ice Hockey Research Group)
- Physics of Head Impacts and Implications for Helmet Testing and Design
- 11:20 am -12 noon: Alain Ptito (Dept. of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Dept. of Psychology, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University Health Centre)
- Role of functional MRI in concussion diagnosis and recovery
Lunch and poster viewing 12:00 noon - 13:30 pm
Insulin Resistance: Aetiology, Treatment and Prevention
- 13:30 - 13:40: Introduction - Ross Andersen
- 13:40 - 14:10: Michael Meaney (Dept. of Neurology & Neurosurgery, Dept. of Psychiatry, Ludmer Centre for Neuroinformatics and Mental Health at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute)
- 14:10 - 14:40: Linda Wykes (School of Dietetics & Human Nutrition)
- Amino acid and Glucose Kinetics in Patients with Insulin Resistance Induced by Surgery.
- 14:40 - 15:00: Coffee break
- 15:00 - 15:30: Celena Scheede-Bergdahl (PATH, Dept. of Kinesiology & Physical Education, McGill Nutrition and Performance Laboratory)
- Insulin Resistance in Colorectal cancer patients: a role for exercise in the pre-surgical time frame
- 15:30 - 16:00: Ross Andersen (PATH, Dept. of Kinesiology & Physical Education, Health and Fitness Promotion Laboratory)
- Exercise, obesity and bariatric surgery
- 16:00 - 16:20: Round table questions.
Closing Remarks (Russel T. Hepple) 16:20
Wine & Cheese 16:30 pm - 18:30