Montreal's public transportation is arguably one of the most efficient in North America. Operated by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM), our buses and metro (subway) make getting around extremely convenient. Exploring is a simple and inexpensive experience as well — we wholeheartedly encourage you to give it a shot!
For additional information on public transit for the south shore, north shore, Laval and the west island, please visit the following websites:
Public transit tips:
- Bus drivers don't make change or sell tickets, but all metro stations have ticket booths and some convenience stores (dépanneurs), grocery stores, and pharmacies sell tickets and passes. A list of authorized retailers is available on the STM website. Student fares are substantially cheaper than regular fares.
- If you're purchasing monthly passes, you are eligible for a non-refundable tax credit. Make sure to save all your receipts so that you can claim this credit when you file your tax return.
- All transit fares allow you to transfer between metro and bus lines without paying for a second trip.
- Information about the reduced fare public transit pass for students is available on the STM website.
- The STM requires proof of full-time school attendance for students 16 to 25 years old. This can be obtained by logging into Minerva and displaying the Proof of Enrolment Letter on an electronic device, such as a tablet, laptop, or smart phone to the STM photo studio staff. The STM will provide tablets to students who do not have electronic devices at the studio.
- Foreign students should ensure they have updated their address information in Minerva to display their Quebec address prior to accessing their Proof of Enrolment Letter. Instructions are available here.
- Students who would like to get a reduced fare pass must visit the STM Photo Studio in order to supply the necessary documents, pay the necessary fees and have their photo taken for the Opus transit card. The closest STM Photo Studio is located in the Berri-UQAM metro (subway) station. For more information, please visit the STM website.
- The Campus Life & Engagement Office and the STM have jointly organized STM photo sessions in room 5001 at the Brown Student Services Building on Tuesday, September 8th and Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 from 9:00am to 4:30pm to give students the opportunity to conveniently get their reduced fare Opus cards done on the downtown campus. You will need to bring the following with you:
- $14 cash in exact change.
- A printed copy of your Proof of Enrolment Letter.
- Proof of age (driver's license, healthcare card, school identification card showing date of birth or passport).
- For students studying at the Macdonald Campus only: The Macdonald Campus Student Affairs Office and the STM have jointly organized an STM photo session in the ballroom located in the Centennial Centre on Thursday, September 10th, 2015 from 9:30am to 3:30pm.
If the public transit routes or schedules don't suit your needs, you can always hail a taxi on most major streets. Alternatively, give them a call or order a taxi online and they'll pick you up. Major taxi services include:
- Atlas Taxi: 514-485-8585
- Diamond Co-Op: 514-273-6331
- Royal Taxi: 514-274-3333
- Taxi Co-Op: 514-725-9885
West End / West Island
- Co-op de l'Ouest: 514-636-6666
- Lachine Taxi: 514-637-7011