Associate Professor, Department of Political Science
PhD, University of California, Berkeley
African Politics, Islam and Politics, Informal Economies, Middle East Politics, Ethnic and Civil Conflict, Comparative Politics, Political Economy of Development
Current Book Project
Globalization, Informal Markets and Collective Action: The Development Islamic and Ethnic Politics in Egypt, Sudan and Somalia
- “State Building in Reverse: The Neo-Liberal “Reconstruction” of Iraq. Middle East Report, Summer 2004.
- “Financing Terrorism or Survival? Informal Finance, State Collapse and the US War on Terrorism.” Middle East Report, Summer 2002.
- The Political Economy of an Islamist State: Sudan. Political Islam, eds. Joel Beinin and Joe Stork, eds. (University of California Press, 1997)
- Identity in Sudan’s Foreign Policy (with Francis M. Deng) Africa in the New International Order, eds. Edmond J. Keller and Donald Rothchild (Lynn Reiner Press, 1996).
- “Sudan’s Human and Political Crisis,” Current History, May, 1993.
- Funding Fundamentalism: Sudan, Review of African Political Economy, September-October, 1991.
- “Informal Economies, Identities and Islamic Extremism,” Sociology Lecture Series, Yale University, March 31, 2005.
- “The Political Economy of Religious Fundamentalism: A Comparative Perspective,’ Paper delivered at the American Political Science Association, Chicago, September 3, 2004.
- “Globalization and Islamic Militancy: Giving some context to the attacks of 9/11,” paper delivered at the 45th Annual International Studies Convention. “Hegemony and its Discontents,” Montreal, March 17-20, 2004.
- “Informal Markets and the Changing Face of Political Islam: the View from Cairo,” paper delivered at the 99th Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Philadelphia, PA, September 2-5, 2003.
- “US Policy in Iraq: Prospects and Perils,” Paper delivered to the Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISC), Stanford University, May 2003.
- “Globalization, State Building and Collective Action: The Politic Economy of Remittance Inflows and Identity Politics in Northwest and Northeast Somalia,” Annual Conference of the Joint Berkeley-Stanford Conference on African Studies, April, 2001