Students must apply to one of the departments offering the option and must meet the admission criteria of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and the entrance requirement for the desired degree of their home department.
At the same time NEO candidates must fill in the NEO application form and send it to the department they are applying to.
Candidates to the NEO option will be considered by NEO's coordination committee, who will take into account background, academic performance, availability of a supervisor and research interests.
NEO's coordination committee consists of the Director (Brian Leung), one student representative (Chantal Hutchinson), two STRI scientists (Owen McMillan and Mark E. Torchin) and two McGill professors (Margaret Kalacska and Frederic Guichard)
All courses will be given in English, however because research will take place in Latin America, NEO has a language requirement.
Students who are accepted into the NEO option will be expected to show basic proficiency in Spanish (or Portuguese for students planning to work in Brazil).
Those who do not meet this basic proficiency will be required to complete an intensive Spanish (or Portuguese) course (HISP-218 or equivalent) prior to commencing research in Panama.
Before you apply to the NEO program
- Choosing a graduate program can be one of the most important decisions you will make. It is important to find the right fit based on your research interests. Take time to research and evaluate your options. Read about professors research on their websites of participating departments.
If you are interested in the NEO program, consult the faculty members list.
- Once you choose to apply to the NEO program, you will need two supervisors: one is your “main research supervisor” and the other a “co-supervisor”. Your main research supervisor must be a NEO member from the faculty members of the NEO participating departments list. If you are interested in working with a McGill professor who is not on the list, then talk to that professor about whether they might want to join NEO.
- If your main research supervisor is not a McGill professor, then he/she must have an adjunct appointment at McGill. This applies to the STRI scientists on the NEO list. In this case, we recommend that your co-supervisor be a McGill professor.
- If your main research supervisor is a McGill professor, then your co-supervisor does not have to already be in the NEO program – although this is recommended.
- Once you have identified a McGill professor who is interested in being your supervisor (or co-supervisor), apply to that professor’s department directly.
Now I am ready to apply
Students must apply directly to the department they wish to enter. For details on the application procedure, please visit the website of the department you wish to enter:
- Bioresource Engineering
- Natural Resource Sciences
- Plant Science
- Political Science
NEO candidates must fill out the NEO application form. Provide all the required information; please print clearly
Useful tips to apply to NEO
- Only the accredited professors listed on the NEO web site can accept students in the option.
- Contact the professor(s) with research interest similar to yours.
- Apply ONLY in the host Department of that professor.
- Fill the NEO application form and send it with your departmental application.
- If you are an international student, please apply early. Have your departmental acceptance done by your supervisors as soon as possible. Immigration procedures to obtain your documents to study in Canada may take up to 6 months. START EARLY!
- To be considered for financial assistance, your application must be completed by March 15th (see Funding).
In addition, students enrolled in the NEO program will pay a one-time off campus NEO Program Fee of $800 to support the direct non-teaching expenses related to offering this program in Panama. Students will be billed through their fee statements in the first year of registration.
Payment of the NEO fee will be accepted by Student Accounts.
For futher information on making a payment consult the Student Accounts website