The student teaching mentoring team "triad" is composed of:
Please click on the corresponding links above or at right to review more details about the roles and responsibilities of each member.
Join the Mentoring Team
Each year, without the collaboration of nearly 1,000 dedicated Co-operating Teachers from around the Greater Montreal region, it would be impossible to prepare our B.Ed. and MATL Student Teachers for the challenge and reward of the teaching profession.
McGill's Internships & Student Affairs Office (ISA) places Student Teachers with Co-operating Teachers in both public and private schools in the below noted teachable subject areas:
- K/Elementary (English and French Immersion)
- Secondary, English Language Arts
- Secondary, Science & Technology
- Secondary, Mathematics
- Secondary, Social Sciences (History & Geography or History, Ethics & Religious Culture)
- Music (Elementary & Secondary)
- Physical Education (Elementary & Secondary)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (Elementary & Secondary)
In order to become a Co-operating Teacher, individuals must:
- Be recommended by their School Administrator
- Generally possess at least 5 years of teaching experience
- Have a sufficient teaching load in the required teachable subject area (or host the Student Teacher with another Co-operating Teacher, if necessary)
Interested teachers should inform their School Administrator of their desire to serve as a Co-operating Teacher as ISA Placement Coordinators can only accept placement requests authorized by the host school.
Exception: Teachers employed in a French school board who teach in the area of Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) must place the request for a Student Teacher via their board.
For more information about becoming a Co-operating Teacher with McGill, please contact the Internships & Student Affairs Office at placements.education [at] mcgill.ca.
Each year, without the collaboration of nearly 100 dedicated Field Supervisors, it would be impossible to prepare our B.Ed. and MATL Student Teachers for the challenge and reward of the teaching profession.
McGill's Internships & Student Affairs Office (ISA) engages Field Supervisors to work throughout the Greater Montreal region to fulfill the below noted functions:
- Serve as a liaison between McGill and the host school(s)
- Support, observe, mentor and assess Student Teachers in relation to the relevant Teacher Training 12 Professional Competencies
- Provide oral and written feedback, per an assessment schedule
- Ensure that ISA as well as McGill policies and procedures are implemented and enforced
- Verify that the student teaching placement(s) conform to university guidelines
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with the host school(s), including mediating any potential challenges or obstacles as they arise
Student teaching supervision is a demanding but rewarding role requiring a complex blend of soft skills, knowledge and professionalism. Candidates require:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a Quebec elementary and/or high school setting as a full-time certified teacher and/or School Administrator
- Deep understanding of the QEP and related professional curriculum documents
- Prior experience as mentor or supervisor to student teachers over a sustained period of time (several years)
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management skills
- Exceptional professional judgment, an ability to work independently, and an ability to provide constructive feedback and facilitate challenging professional conversations
- Ability to exercise authority and accountability even in the face of contrary opinion
- Bilingualism – French/English (written and spoken)
- Access to a vehicle and willingness to travel
- Mastery of basic computer skills, including use of Word, e-mail and fillable PDFs, etc.
Further Information & Application
To apply to become a Field Supervisor with McGill, please complete the application and submit it, along with a CV, to Internships & Student Affairs Officer, Vanessa Smith, at vanessa.smith2 [at] mcgill.ca.