The main objective of the Dentistry Student Ambassador program is to connect newly admitted students and prospective applicants with current dental students to learn more about their experience in our undergraduate dental programs. A student’s perspective can be very helpful and valuable to applicants when trying to decide whether or not to apply to McGill’s Faculty of Dentistry.
What would a Student Ambassador have to do?
A dental student interested in applying to our Student Ambassador Program would have to be interested and available to:
- Act as a contact person to newly admitted students and prospective applicants - This implies that the student will agree to have his/her photo, profile and email address published on our website as well as answer emails on a regular basis (time frame to respond: 5 days);
- Conduct Faculty tours and class visits (tours of preclinical lab, dental clinic and if possible and with the permission from the professor, sit in on a class);
- Be present at the McGill Open House (generally last Sunday of October) to answer questions from prospective students and participate to info session;
- Participate during the round of interviews – answer questions, host events, tours, etc.
- Participate in Faculty’s info sessions (e.g. Open House, or info sessions organised by the Admissions Office);
- Develop and lead new recruitment initiatives to reach people from varied backgrounds and life trajectories.
Tasks and roles will be assigned according to the students’ seniority in the program and preferences (e.g. a DENT-P student might be limited to sharing their experience of the admissions process and their first year at McGill, but not be able to describe the DMD program or provide tours of the facilities).
How to join the program?
- Fill in the application form and submit it by July 24th, 2015;
- If selected, you will have to attend a training session to help you prepare for your role as Student Ambassador (sometime in September - date to be confirmed);
- Once enrolled, a student will remain Ambassador for one year (renewable).
What is the selection process?
Candidates will be selected by a sub-committee of the Admissions Committee based on the following selection criteria:
- Ability to positively influence his/her peers, make a positive first impression, adapt to a variety of situations and work well with others;
- Leadership potential as well as sensitivity to those around him/her;
- Ability to commit the necessary time and to successfully carry out responsibilities of the position;
- A tolerance for and respect of different opinions as well as sensitivity to different cultures;
- Involvement with and contribution to the Faculty of Dentistry and/or the local community;
- Academic standing through previous studies;
- Work ethics.
The selection will also be done to reflect the diversity of the student body.
Although a certain committment is required, much of the individual participation in activities can be worked around Ambassadors’ class, clinic and study schedules.
Student representatives sitting on the Admissions Committee are not eligible to apply to the Student Ambassador Program.
What are the benefits of being a Student Ambassador?
- Recognition of their contribution on the Dean’s letter;
- Mentorship opportunities with incoming and prospective students;
- Opportunity to work with and learn from the Faculty’s staff;
- Unique experience in public relations (meeting people, public speaking, representing the Faculty) which helps develop skills and confidence vital to success in career advancement;
- Satisfaction in becoming a positive role model.
For more information about the Dentistry Student Ambassador Program, please contact our Admissions and Recruitment Officer:
marie-claude [dot] loignon [at] mcgill [dot] ca or 514 398-7203 x 1-00063