This page provides links to resources for addressing issues of racism, structural violence, social justice and human rights in psychiatric training, research, policy and practice.
1. American Association for Community Psychiatry (AACP) Emergency Town Hall: The Leadership Role of Community Psychiatry in Combating Structural Racism, June 3, and more resources:
2. American Psychiatric Association (APA): Racism and Black Mental Health CME -APA Learning Center (Free)
This learning module prepares contemporary psychiatrists to practice with an anti-racism framework in the care of all patients, and especially African Americans. Competency in this area is provided through exploration of historical facts underscoring the linkage of "race" and material disadvantage in America, as well as the spread of scientific racism during nascent periods of psychiatry. Contemporary issues affecting African-American patients at the point of mental health care are emphasized, along with discussion of effective interventions for addressing the institutional, interpersonal, and internal manifestations of racism.
3. APA Member Town Hall on Structural Racism, June 15
4. American Association of Directors of Psychiatry Residency Training (AADPRT) Anti-Racism and Diversity Resources
5. Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Statement on Police Brutality and Racism in America and Their Impact on Health, June 1, now endorsed by APA, AADPRT, Association for Academic Psychiatry, Association of Directors of Medical Student Education in Psychiatry, American Association of Chairs of Departments of Psychiatry, American College of Psychiatrists
6. AAMC Press Conference: Racism and Health: How and Where to Make Changes, June 12https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/mission-areas/diversity-inclusion/press-conference-racism-health
7. AAMC MedEd PORTAL
- Anti-Racism in Medicine Collection https://www.mededportal.org/anti-racism
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Health Equity Collection https://www.mededportal.org/diversity-inclusion-and-health-equity
8. Book lists by Francis Lu
- I have created an Amazon list of 35 books on cultural psychiatry and related topics relevant to teaching medical students, psychiatry residents and fellows. The top 15 are the most essential: https://a.co/dj5VhZn
- A second list are of books on racism, anti-racism, and more: https://a.co/7uIwHU3
- They are chosen from the 500 books on these 2 Amazon lists created: http://a.co/5GbeL6L and http://a.co/0FL17gW