Replacement Diploma

Note: This is the 20112012 edition of the eCalendar. Update the year in your browser's URL bar for the most recent version of this page, or click here to jump to the newest eCalendar.

Replacement Diploma

If your diploma was lost, damaged, or the name on the diploma should be changed, you can request a replacement diploma. You must send a written request plus a certified cheque or money order for CAD$60, payable to McGill University. You should refer to the sections below to determine which situation applies to you. Send your request to:

  • Enrolment Services
  • Duplicate Diploma Request
  • McGill University
  • 3415 McTavish Street
  • Montreal (QC) H3A 1Y1
  • Email: servicepoint [at]

Please note that requests made on behalf of a student must be accompanied by a signed letter of authorization from the student.

To replace a lost diploma: You must provide a sworn affidavit from a notary, a lawyer or a commissioner of oaths certifying that the diploma is lost. The affidavit must include: your full name; student number; address; phone number; date of birth; degree granted/year granted; and reason for a replacement diploma.

To replace a damaged diploma or change the name on the diploma: You must send or deliver the original diploma, and your letter must include the following information: full name; student number; address; phone number; date of birth; reason for a replacement diploma; and any corrections, additions or deletions.

For name changes: You must include clear and complete photocopies of legal documents supporting your name change request. Please see Name: Legal Name for the list of acceptable documents. Note that the name change must be processed in the University system before a duplicate diploma can be issued.

To request certified copies of a diploma: McGill provides only one original diploma per student. However, you may obtain certified copies of your diploma. Simply photocopy your original diploma on 8.5” x 11” paper in landscape mode, making certain to reduce it so that all seals and signatures are visible. Enrolment Services will certify as many copies as required at no charge. A cover letter bearing your signature and including your full name, student number, address and phone number is required for mail or fax requests. Note that certified copies of your diploma are not sent by fax or email.

To request a translation of a diploma: McGill can provide you certified English or French translations of your diploma as required, free of charge. Please send us a written request specifying the degree to be translated and how many copies you need. You should ensure to include your complete name, address, date of birth and signature. You must allow at least a week for processing and mailing. Note that translated diplomas are not sent by fax or email.

Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2011-2012 (last updated Jul. 21, 2011) (disclaimer)
Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2011-2012 (last updated Jul. 21, 2011) (disclaimer)