Terms of Reference
The Subcommittee on Queer People (“Subcommittee”) is established under the authority of, and is accountable to, the Joint Board-Senate Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (“EDIC”). Subject to the Terms of Reference of EDIC, the Subcommittee shall function as stipulated in these Terms of Reference.
1. Mandate and Authority
1.1. The Subcommittee’s mandate is to:
- Provide recommendations to the EDIC on policy matters of relevance to 2SLGBTQ+ students, staff, and faculty at McGill University.
- Maintain a forum to discuss and propose solutions to 2SLGBTQ+ issues in academic and non-academic life at McGill University, so as to support the EDIC in advising the Board of Governors and the Senate and advancing matters of equity and inclusiveness of 2SLGBTQ+ people at McGill University.
- Consider and discuss questions and policy documents relating to 2SLGBTQ+ equity and inclusiveness at the University received within a reasonable and collegial timeframe.
2.1. The Subcommittee shall consist of 5 to 10 voting members, including ex officio members, as follows:
- Chair, member of the academic or non-academic staff (two-year commitment)
- Vice-chair or co-chair, member of the academic or non-academic staff (two-year commitment)
- Two ex officio representatives of Queer student groups, such as, but not exclusive to, Queer McGill and Queer Grad Club.
- The Equity Education Advisor (Gender Equity and 2SLGBTQIA+ Education), ex officio
- Up to five other members from the McGill community.
2.2. The Subcommittee will be supported by a Chair or two Co-Chairs, as determined by the Subcommittee.
2.3. The Subcommittee may be supported by a Vice-Chair, if determined by the Subcommittee. The Vice-Chair, when necessary, will step in as Acting Chair in the absence of the Chair.
2.4. Subcommittee members must include students, staff, and faculty.
3. Appointment and Reappointment of Members
3.1. Subcommittee members, other than ex officio members, shall be appointed by the Subcommittee for terms of one to two years. They are eligible for reappointment up to a maximum of four consecutive years.
3.2. The Chair of the Subcommittee will be appointed by EDIC, following consultation with the Subcommittee.
3.3. The following will be considered when considering the appointment and reappointment of Subcommittee members:
- Skills and experience
- Equitable representation to ensure that diverse 2SLGBTQIA+ identities and perspectives are reflected
- Equitable representation of students, staff, and faculty
4. Frequency of meetings
4.1. The Subcommittee will meet at least 4 times per year.
5. Role of Subcommittee Members and Chair
5.1. Subcommittee members are expected to:
- Attend meetings when possible, informing the Chair of absences.
- Participate in Subcommittee projects, preparing for meetings and engaging in Subcommittee discussions
- Assist the Chair in developing policy for Subcommittee priority items, contributing to policy revisions and recommendations by making informed contributions, bearing in mind the Subcommittee’s mandate
- Report on Subcommittee meetings to university units, as appropriate, also sharing knowledge on 2SLGBTQ+ activities and consultations with the 2SLGBTQ+ university community;
- Identify opportunities for engagement with 2SLGBTQ+ issues
5.2. In addition to their expectations as a Subcommittee member, the Chair (and Vice-Chair if applicable) is responsible for:
- Setting the subcommittee’s meeting schedule and location of meetings, bearing in mind accessibility considerations
- Developing meeting agendas and circulating relevant documents
- Maintaining a record of the Subcommittee’s decisions
- Preparing and submitting the Subcommittee’s reports to EDIC
- Providing orientation and guidance with respect to the role and responsibility of members
6. Reporting requirements
6.1. The Subcommittee will report to the EDIC on a regular basis.
6.2. The Chair of the Subcommittee shall present to the EDIC, on behalf of the Subcommittee, an annual report on its activities.
7. Conduct of the Subcommittee Meetings
7.1. A meeting is constituted when a quorum of more than 50% of Subcommittee members, including the Chair, is present either in person or remotely.
7.2. The Chair may invite resource persons to attend a Subcommittee meeting, or issue repeated invitations, if their presence will assist the activities of the Subcommittee. Resource persons who are so invited cannot vote.
7.3. The agenda and documents for a meeting will, as a matter of good practice, normally be sent to all those who are entitled to receive them at least four days before each meeting.
7.4. Only Subcommittee members have the right to vote at Subcommittee meetings.
7.5. Voting on any issue will be by simple majority of present members. The Chair may vote and has the casting vote if a vote is tied.
8. Review of the Terms of Reference
8.1 The Subcommittee shall review its terms of reference at least once every three years, beginning on the day they become effective. The Chair of the Subcommittee will lead this review and evaluate its outcomes in consultation with the EDIC or the Co-Chairs of the EDIC.
Approved date: SQP: 28 March 2023; EDIC: 17 April 2023
Effective date: 1 August 2023