William Clare Roberts
In the history of political thought: Marx and Marxism, ancient Greek political philosophy (especially Aristotle), classical political economy, Heidegger and his students.
In contemporary ethical and political thought: republicanism, moral particularism, institutionalism and non-ideal theory.
In social theory and philosophy of the social sciences: social ontology, institutional economics, prudential rationality.
- "Marx's Inferno: The Political Theory of Capital," (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2017. 276 pp.).
"The Idea of Emancipation after Postcolonial Theory." Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies 19:6 (August 2017): 747-763. DOI: 10.1080/1369801X.2017.1347055.
“Compulsory Schooling: The University, the Market, and the Work Students Do,” part of a “Critical Exchange on Education and Scholarship in the Twenty-First-Century Marketplace,” Contemporary Political Theory 14:4 (November 2015): 409-433.
"All Natural Right Is Changeable: Aristotelian Natural Right, Prudence, and the Specter of Exceptionalism," The Review of Politics 74 (2012), 261–283
“The Reconstitution of Marxism’s Production Paradigm: The Cases of Benjamin, Althusser, and Marx,” Philosophical Forum 41:4 (Winter 2010): 413-440.
- “Marx in Hell: The Critique of Political Economy as Katabasis.” Journal of Critical Sociology 31:2 (Spring 2005): 37-53.
- “Feuerbach and the Left and Right Hegelians.” In The History of Continental Philosophy, Volume Two: The Revolutionary Responses to the Existing Order (1840-1900), edited by Daniel W. Conway, general editor Alan D. Schrift. Stocksfield, UK: Acumen, 2010, 17-34.
- “Abstraction and Productivity: Structures of Intentionality and Action in Marx’s Capital.” In Marx and Contemporary Philosophy, edited by Andrew Chitty and Martin McIvor. Harmondsworth, UK: Palgrave MacMillan, 2009, 188-203.
- “The Origin of Political Economy and the Descent of Marx.” In Marx, Critical Theory, and Religion: A Critique of Rational Choice. Edited by Warren S. Goldstein. Leiden: Brill Publishers, 2006, 31-58. (Paperback edition, Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2009.)