PhD, Johns Hopkins University
Chinese Politics, Contentious politics, State Building, Law & Politics
Historical Institutionalism, Relational Approach, Discourse Analysis
2017. The Sinews of State Power: The Rise and Demise of The Cohesive Local State in Rural China (New York: Oxford University Press)
[Critical Dialogue in Perspectives on Politics with Ralph Thaxton, Vol. 17, Issue 3 (2019), pp. 843-847.]
- Accepted. "Categorizing People in the New States: A Comparative Study of Communist China and North Korea," (With Kim Jung Eun), Journal of East Asian Studies.
- 2023. Forthcoming. "Judicial Relations in Local China" (with Sitao Li), Handbook on Local Governance in China: Structures, Variations, and Innovations. Ceren Ergenc and David S. G. Goodman eds. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing).
- 2022. "Institutional Proximity and Judicial Corruption: A Spatial Approach" (with Sida Liu), Governance, 35(2): 633-649.
- 2021 (Open Access). "The Paradigm Shift in the Disciplining of Village Cadres: From Mao to Xi" (with Grace Mou), The China Quarterly.
- 2021. "Law for What? Ideas and Social Control in China and Vietnam" (with Nhu Truong), Problems of Post-Communism, 68(3): 202-215.
- 2020. " 'It's not just about the Divorce:' Law, Politics, and Mediation in Communist China" (with Hongqin Mu), Journal of Comparative Law, 15(2): 160-178.
- 2020. "中华人民共和国成立初期的Y县离婚诉讼研究" (Divorce Litigation in the Early People's Republic of China: The Case of Y County) (with Hongqin Mu), 《法律和社会科学》(Law and Social Sciences)18 (1): 69-93.
- 2019. [Open Access] "Ordering Power under the Party: A Relational Approach to Law and Politics in China" (with Sida Liu), Asian Journal of Law and Society, 6(1): 1-18.
- 2019. "Political Resources and Divergent Court Empowerment: Subnational Comparison in China," (with Wenting Liang), Modern China, 45(6): 629-665.
- 2018. "What's Wrong with Corruption? Messages from Confessions in China," Crime, Law and Social Change, 69(3): 447-463.
- 2015 "Managing Social Stability: The Perspective of a Local Government in China," Journal of East Asian Studies, 15: 1-25.
- 2012. "Shifting Boundaries between the State and Society: Village Cadres as New Activists in Collective Petition," The China Quarterly, 211: 697-717.
- 2009. “The Political Economy of Earmarked Transfers in a State-Designated Poor County in Western China: Central Policies and Local Responses” (with Mingxing Liu, Ran Tao, & Rachel Murphy), The China Quarterly, 200: 973-994.
- 2007. “The Politics of Poverty Mis-targeting in China,” Journal of Chinese Political Science, 12(3): 219-236.
- 2005. “Going beyond Township and Village Enterprises in Rural China,” Journal of Contemporary China, 14(42): 171-181.
- 2021. Rogier Creemers and Susan Trevaskes eds. Law and the Party in China: Ideology and Organisation (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2021). The China Quarterly, 247: 903-905.
- 2020. Kwai Huang Ng and Xin He, Embedded Courts: Judicial Decision-Making in China (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2017). Journal of Chinese Political Science, 25:165-166.
- 2018. David J. Bulman, Incentivized Development in China: Leaders, Governance, and Growth in China's Counties (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2016). Journal of Chinese Political Science, 23(2):303-304.
- 2011. Lim Tai Wei, Oil in China: From Self-Reliance to Internationalization (Singapore: World Scientific, 2010). The China Journal, 65:221-222.
- 2006. Zhao Suisheng, A Nation-State by Construction: Dynamics of Modern Chinese Nationalism (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2004). Journal of East Asian Studies, 6:473-476.
May 23, 2017. “Xi Jinping is ‘Putting the House in Order.’” Monkey Cage, Washington Post.
-Knowledge Building for the Post-Revolutionary State in China
-Social Classification in New Communist States