Policy on holy days
- Students are not to be penalized if they cannot write examinations or be otherwise evaluated on their religious holy days where such activities conflict with their religious observances.
- While sessional dates, classroom and Faculty activities, and examination dates take into account academic constraints and statutory holidays, where there is flexibility, efforts are to be made to select dates which do not conflict with religious holy days or to find other appropriate accommodations.
- In advance of the first day of class, the Registrar shall distribute to all units a multifaith calendar for the academic year, along with a copy of this policy.
- Students who because of religious commitment cannot meet academic obligations, other than final examinations, on certain holy days are responsible for informing their instructor, with two weeks' notice of each conflict. Possible solutions include: a) rescheduling the evaluation, or b) preparing an alternative evaluation for that particular student, or c) shifting the weight normally assigned to the evaluation to the weight assigned to the remaining evaluation. When the instructor and student are unable to agree on suitable accommodation, the matter will be referred to the Associate Dean, who may request official documentation confirming the student's religious affiliation. The Associate Dean will convey the decision to the instructor and student.
- When the requested accommodation concerns a final examination, students are responsible for advising their Faculty office as soon as possible and not later than the deadline for reporting conflicts. Additional documentation confirming their religious affiliation may be requested. Possible solutions include (in order of preference): a) treating the request as a conflict, and accommodating it within the examination period, or b) providing a special deferred examination as soon as possible, or c) granting permission to write a regular deferred examination. The choice will depend on the particular circumstances.
- This policy is to be made available to all members of the University community.