Graham Sommer Trio Premiere in Pollack Hall, May 2021
The Graham Sommer Competition for Young Composers will invite audience members into the world of composition with the premiere of new works for piano trio (violin, cello, and piano). The winners of all prizes, including the audience prize, will be announced following the performance and jury deliberations.
In the spirit of Graham Sommer’s love for sharing music, the competition will take place during Quebec’s 25th edition of the Journées de la Culture in September 2021; this annual event promotes greater access to arts and culture for everyone, giving participants a peek into the creative process with free activities all over the province.
In Conversation with the Finalists (September 25, 2021)
Chris Paul Harman, Canadian composer and Composition Area Coordinator in the School's Department of Music Research, will moderate a discussion with the five competition finalists prior to the concert and prize gala on September 26. The discussion will focus on what it means to be an emerging composer and to write for piano trio.
This free event will take place at 2:00 p.m. in Tanna Schulich Hall in the Elizabeth Wirth Music Building (527 Sherbrooke Street W.). Please register in advance.
Concert and Prize Gala (September 26, 2021)
The Concert and Prize Gala will take place at 3:30 p.m. on September 26, 2021 in Pollack Hall at the Schulich School of Music of McGill University. If you can't attend, you'll be able to watch the webcast on the School's YouTube page.
Graham Sommer Trio
Amy Hillis, violin
Chloé Dominguez, cello
Meagan Milatz, piano
Alec Hall | The National Anthem
Laurence Jobidon | Hublots
Michael Kim-Sheng | Burning in Clarity
Jared Miller | Absolute
Matthew Ricketts | Still There
Vote for your favourite work following the performances! www.mcgill.ca/gsc/vote
Tickets are available online, at the Schulich School of Music Box Office by phone (514-398-4547) or in person: Monday to Friday 14:00 to 18:00 (555 Sherbrooke Street West).
Help keep our community safe
The safety of our community and our students’ education remain a top priority.
As of September 1, 2021, spectators aged 13 or over will need a vaccine passport to attend concerts at the Schulich School of Music. The vaccine passport, along with a photo ID (photo optional for people aged 13 to 15, and 75 or over), must be shown upon entering the venue.
If you do not have a vaccination passport, you will be denied access to the hall.
The following passport formats are accepted with photo ID:
- Paper format
- PDF format on your mobile device
- From the VaxiCode application
To download your vaccine passport, please visit the following page.
Attending events at Schulich
- Please arrive at least 20 minutes before the start of the event and have your vaccination passport and photo ID ready BEFORE you arrive at the door to the hall to help our staff facilitate your entry. Your patience and understanding is most appreciated.
- Procedural masks must be worn by everyone while circulating in Schulich buildings and concert halls. Masks will be available upon entrance to the Elizabeth Wirth and Strathcona Music Buildings.
- Our concert halls are also classrooms which are in use throughout the day. Patrons are permitted to remove their masks only once they are seated, but are encouraged to keep them on throughout the performance.
- Please respect posted social distancing guidelines, including seat availability.
- Hand sanitizing stations are available throughout the McGill campus.
- The Schulich School of Music is following all Government of Quebec and McGill University guidelines and directives closely. Visit the events calendar regularly as access to our halls is subject to change.
We thank you for your continued support.
Graham Sommer Trio