Dr. Shannon Fraser
Associate Professor, Departments of Surgery and Oncology, McGill University
Dr. Shannon Fraser graduated from University of Toronto’s medical school in 1999. She completed residency in general surgery, followed by a fellowship in minimally invasive surgery at McGill. She holds 2 master’s degrees, one in zoology and a second in experimental surgery. Dr. Fraser came on staff at the Jewish General Hospital as an assistant professor of surgery at McGill in October 2005, and became chief of the division of general surgery in July 2009. She became an associated professor at McGill in 2011. Her clinical expertise lies in minimally invasive surgery, while her research interests include surgical education, surgical outcomes and patient safety innovations, on which she has published several journal articles and book chapters.
Manuscripts in Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Fraser SA and Evans MF: Diagnosis and Prognosis of Patients with Palpitations. Critical Appraisal In: Canadian Family Physician 1997; 43: 2131-2132.
- Fraser SA, Miller G, Shrier I, Gordon PH: Immediate post-operative small bowel obstruction- a 16 retrospective analysis. American Surgeon 2002; 68(9): 780-2.
- Fraser SA, Klassen DR, Feldman LS, Ghitulescu GA, Stanbridge D, Fried GM: Evaluating Laparoscopic Skills: Setting the Pass/Fail Score for the MISTELS System. Surgical Endoscopy 2003; 17:964-67.
- Fried GM, Feldman LS, Vassiliou M, Fraser SA, Stanbridge D: Proving the Value of Simulation in Laparoscopic Surgery. Annals of Surgery 2004; 240(3): 518-25.
- Fraser SA, Feldman LS, Stanbridge D, Fried GM: Characterizing the Learning Curve for a Laparoscopic Task. Surgical Endoscopy On-line first DOI: 10.1007/s00464-005-0150-5, 2005; 19(12) 1572-8.
- Fraser SA, Deschênes J, Bloom C, Gordon PH: Ileocecal Hobnail Hemangioendothelioma: A Case Report & Review of the Literature. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum.2006; 49(2): 276-9.
- Demytternaere S, Feldman LS, Bergman S, Gholoum S, Fraser SA, Carli F, Moriello C, Unikowsky B, Fried GM: Does aggressive hydration reverse the effects of pneumoperitoneum on renal perfusion? Surgical Endoscopy 2006; 20(2): 274-80.
- Vassiliou MC, Feldman LS, Fraser SA, Charlebois P, Chaudhury P, Stanbridge DD, Fried GM. Evaluating Intraoperative Laparoscopic Skill: Direct Observation Versus Blinded Videotaped Performances. Surgical Innovation 2007; 14(3): 211-6
- Fraser SA, Sigman HS. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy after gastric resection: a 15 year review. Canadian Journal of Surgery 2009 52(6): 463-466.
- Feldman LS, Cao J, Andalib A, Fraser SA, Fried GM. A method to characterize the learning curve for performance of a fundamental laparoscopic simulator task: Defining “learning potential” and “learning rate”. Surgery 2009. 146(2) 381-6
- Bergman S, Sourial N, Vedel I, Hanna WC, Fraser SA, Newman D, Bilek AJ, Galatas C, Marek JE, Monette J. Gallstone disease in the elderly: are older patients managed differently? Surgical Endoscopy 2011; 25:55-61.
- Hanna WC, Jamal MH, Nguyen LHP, Fraser SA. Canadian general surgery residents: ready for the 80-h workweek? Canadian Journal of Surgery 2012; 55(1): 53-57.
- Fraser SA, Bergman S, Garzon J. Splenectomy for hematologic disease: a model for the evaluation of the learning cure for a new surgical technique. Surgical Innovation 2012; 19:23-28.
- Balayla J, Bergman S, Feldman L.S. Ghitulescu G, Fraser SA. Knowing the operative game plan: a pilot study of a surgical cognitive competence assessment tool. Canadian Journal of Surgery, 2012; 55(4 S2): S158-162.
- Alzahrani T, Haddad R, Alkhayal A, Delisle J, Gotlieb W, Fraser S, Bergman S, Bladou F, Andonian S, Anidjar M. Validation of the da Vinci Surgical Skill Simulator Across Three Surgical Disciplines. Canadian Urological Association Journal 2013; 7(7-8):e520-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5489/cuaj.419
- Hsieh H, Paquette F, Fraser SA, Feldman LS, Fried GM, Meterissian S, Bergman S. Formal research training during surgical residency: Scaffolding for academic success. American Journal of Surgery 2013; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.04.011
- Bergman S, MartelliV, Monette M, Sourial N,DebanM, Hamadani F, TeasdaleD,Holcroft C, ZakrzewskiH, Fraser SA. Identification of quality of care deficiencies in elderly surgical patients by measuring adherence to process-based quality indicators. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2013; 217(5): 858-866.
- Newman D,Cummings BA, Fraser SA, Chertkow H, Bergman S. High Prevalence of Preoperative Mild Cognitive Impairment in Elderly Surgical Patients. Journal of Canadian General Internal Medicine 2014; 1 (9):21-25.
- Bergman, S, Al-Bader M, Sourial N, Vedel I, Hanna WC, Bilek AJ, Galatas C, Marek JE, Fraser S.A Recurrence of biliary disease following non-operative management in elderly patients. Surgical Endoscopy 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-015-4098-9
- Kiely D, Gotlieb W, Lau S, Zeng X, Samouelian, Ramanakumar A, Zakrzewski H, Brin S, Fraser SA, Korsieporn, Drudi L, Press J. Virtual reality robotic surgery simulation curriculum to teach robotic suturing: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Robotic Surgery 2015 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11701-015-0513-4
- Tahiri, M, Sikder, T, Maimon, G, TeasdaleD Hamdani F, Sourial N,Feldman L, Guraninik J, Fraser SA, Demyttenaere, S, Bergman S. The impact of postoperative complications on the recovery of elderly surgical patients. Surg. Endosc. 2016 May; 30(5):1762-70. Doi:10.1007/s00464-15-4440-2
- Sikder T, Sourial N, Maimon G, Tahiri M, Teasdale D, Bergman H, Fraser SA, Demyttenaere S, Bergman S. Postoperative Recovery in Frail, Pre-Frail, and Non-Frail Elderly Patients Following Abdominal Surgery. World Journal of Surgery, 2018, online first: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-018-4801-9
- Sikder T, Maimon G, Sourial N, Tahiri M, Teasdale D, Bernier P, Fraser SA, Demyttenaere SV, Bergman S. Assessing the Effect of Preoperative Nutrition on Upper Body Function in Elderly Patients Undergoing Elective Abdominal Surgery. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 2018; 42(3): 566-572.
Published Books, Chapters:
- Sved, M, Fraser SA, O’Hayon B. Gynecology. In: Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Review Notes & Lecture Series 15th Edition. Amed S, Cheung M. Eds. 1999 University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1999.
- Feldman LS, Wexler MJ, Fraser SA: 23 Laparoscopic Hernia Repair. 4 Alimentary Tract and Abdomen. ACS Surgery Online. Souba WW, Fink MP, Jurkovich, GJ et al, EDs. WebMD Inc., New York 2005. http://www.acssurgery/. June 2005.
- Neumayer L, Dangleben D, Fraser S, Gefen J, Maa J, Mann B. Abdominal Wall, Including Hernia. In: Essentials of General Surgery 5th ed. Eds. Lawrence et al. 2012 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2012.
- Copeland A, Fraser S, Holder-Haynes J, Lewis B. Wounds and Wound Healing. In: Essentials of General Surgery 6th ed. Ed. Lawrence. 2019 Wolters Kluwer, 2019.
Research interests: Quality Assurance and Clinical Outcomes in Surgery, Robotics, MIS GI tract surgery, Hernia Repair, Surgical Education (skill transfer and learning curves in laparoscopic and robotic surgery)
GI and hernia surgery