A degree in ESS provides a solid scientific background that could be used to pursue graduate studies in many branches of science, including systems biology, Earth sciences, oceanography, astrobiology or sustainability science, or as a background for further studies of policy or business.
A degree in Earth System Sciences can also be directly applied for careers in:
- Data Science
- Consulting firms (assessing suitable sites for new industrial facilities, predicting their environmental impact, and cleaning contaminated sites)
- Environmental assessment
- Product Life Cycle Management (studying energy and resource use and the effect of recycling or waste disposal)
- Research Groups in re-insurance firms (evaluating risks of natural disasters)
- Satellite observations (e.g. of GHGs)
- Software companies (developing algorithms to assist farmers with choices of crops and soil management practices and business owners with inventory management).
Where will a degree in ESS take you?