Professor Christopher Buddle, Associate Provost (Teaching and Academic Programs) explains why students should care about cybersecurity.
The April 2023 Secure your journey news magazine is now available!
Staying safe online is part of every student's McGill journey.
Many students have made the transition to in-person studies this term. Here are some resources and tips to help you stay cybersecure wherever you are.
Beginning your McGill journey: Start safely
- Learn to recognize phishing scams that attempt to steal your personal information.
- Strengthen your Password:
- Create a strong password that is unique to your McGill account.
- Use a different password for each platform or system.
- Set up two-factor authentication (2FA) on your McGill account. Two-factor authentication (2FA) is required on all McGill accounts because it helps verify that you are the person who is signing into your account. Don’t delay, enroll now at mcgill.ca/2fa *New students are automatically enrolled.
- Use your McGill username and password to access most online services and IT systems at McGill.
Learning securely at McGill: Connect and collaborate
- Collaborate with your classmates on secure, McGill-approved platforms:
- Use the McGill Virtual Private Network (VPN) to securely connect to restricted sites and resources.
- Familiarize yourself with McGill's responsible use policy for IT technology resources. For all IT policies, visit IT Policies, Regulations, Directives & Standards.
- Software piracy: Unauthorized software use can have serious consequences. Ensure that your software use complies with licensing agreements.
- Cloud 101: this document provides an introduction to cloud services, including:
- What cloud services are
- Different types of data and the level of protection they require
- What is expected from you
- Learn how to safely use McGill's cloud applications in this short video:
Staying vigilant: Protect your personal information
- Scams - learn to recognize and avoid falling victim to fraudulent communication.
- Store your data safely on McGill-approved applications:
- Keep your devices protected and up to date:
- Stay safe online: Keep your data and computer safe while using the Internet.
- Use trusted apps and networks:
- Social media - use with caution: Oversharing can lead to serious consequences. Stay safe with these guidelines.
- Shop safely online: Help protect yourself against consumer fraud with these tips.
Other resources / events