Friday, July 30, 10:30 a.m.
- Discussion of An's 2007 Clauses in Noncanonical Positions at the Syntax-Phonology Interface (presented by Heather Newell)
Biberauer, Holmberg & Roberts 2008 Structure and Linearisation in Disharmonic Word Orders (presented by Keir Mouton and Sasha Simonenko).
Tuesday, July 27, 11:00 a.m.
- Yosef Grodzinsky: Quantifiers and quantities: parametric fMRI investigations into meaning and numerosity.
Friday, July 23, 10:30 am
- Discussion of Richard Kayne's Antisymmetry and Japanese , and Prepositions as Probes.
Discussion led by Keir Mouton and Máire Noonan.
Readings: Antisymmetry and Japanese in Movement and Silence. OUP 2005.
Friday, July 16, 1 p.m.
- Discussion of Replies to Marcel den Dikken's 2007 Phase Extension Contours ..., as well as his own reply to the replies. Discussion led by Eva Dobler, Máire Noonan, and others. Readings: papers in Theoretical Linguistics vol. 33.1 (2007).
Friday, July 9, 1 p.m.
- Reading discussion: Marcel den Dikken's Phase Extension Contours of a theory of the role of head movement in phrasal extraction. Discussion led by Alexandra Simonenko & Jozina Vander Klok.
Wednesday, June 30, 10 a.m.
- Reading discussion: Jason Kandybowicz's Embracing Edges: Syntactic and Phono-syntactic edge sensitivity in Nupe
Please read manuscript. Lisa Travis and Máire Noonan will act as discussion facilitators.
Thursday, June 17, 10 a.m.
- Mina Sugimura : Extending (Agreement) Domains: A Study of Nominative object constructions in Japanese - Part II
Thursday, June 10, 10 a.m.
- Mina Sugimura : Extending (Agreement) Domains: A Study of Nominative object constructions in Japanese - Part I
May 25-28. All talks in Room 117, except Thursday 2-4 pm: in room 002
- Angelika Kratzer and Elisabeth Selkirk (UMass, Amherst)
Syntax-Prosodic Structure Interface I (Selkirk) Reading: The Syntax-Phonology Interface
Syntax-Prosodic Structure Interface II (Selkirk)
Thursday 10:30 am
Discussion of Kratzer & Selkirk 2007 Phase theory and prosodic spellout: The case of verbs with the authors. Please read the paper beforehand.
Thursday 2-4 pm; room 002
The Grammar of Focus and Givenness (Kratzer and Selkirk)
Friday 9:30-12:30 am
Long-distance comparatives and direct comparison.
Glyne Piggott & Lisa Travis
Hard edges inside words. Evidence from Ojibwe.
Bernhard Schwarz & Junko Shimoyama
Update on negative islands, gradable predicates, and discreteness of measurement in Japanese.
Heather Goad & Lydia White
Prosodic Transfer and the Representation of Interlanguage Articles.
A potluck dinner from 6-9 pm at Junko and Bernhard's house will end the McSIRG week. Please see the sign-up sheet in the photocopy room.
Thursday, May 20
- Reading meeting in preparation for Angelika Kratzer and Lisa Selkirk's visit. Reading: The Syntax-Phonology Interface
Thursday, May 13
- Keir Moulton. What co-varies in backwards variable binding Background reading: 'Crossover Situations' by D. Büring