All amounts indicated on this page are in Canadian dollars.
The fees for 2013 are as indicated below. While it is difficult to predict fees due to fluctuations in currency, fuel, and airfare charges, we expect the fees to remain the same as the 2012 fees.
CFSIA fees for 2013 are (subject to change):
- Amount varies: tuition fees. See below.
- $12,050 CFSIA non-tuition program fee, payable as follows:
- $1,000 CFSIA deposit. Due at time of application to the CFSIA program. Refundable subject to certain conditions.
- $7,000 CFSIA 1st installment. Due September 15.
- $4,050 CFSIA 2nd installment. Due November 15.
You may pay your fees in the following ways:
- $12,050 CFSIA fees:
$1,000 initial deposit: see instructions on the application page.
$7,000 + $4,050: payments will be accepted by Student Accounts.
For futher information on procedures for payment of fees visit the Student Accounts website.
Pay to McGill University using your student ID as the account number.
Once you have done this, email student [dot] accounts [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Student Accounts) to notify the financial office that the payment has been made with the subject of the email being Africa Field Studies Semester
- Tuition - See below.
- return airfare from Montreal to Kenya (participants are responsible for transportation to and from Montreal)
- ground transportation
- park fees
- game drives, archaeological site visits, visits to local villages
- African lecturers
- gratuities for Africa staff
- transportation to and from Montreal (participants are responsible for this)
- McGill tuition (see below)
- McGill application fees
- antimalarial drugs
- airport fees and taxes
- spending money
- health or travel insurance
The CFSIA program fees cover expenses related to living, travel, and field activities in Africa. Based on the anticipated expenses of the program, some fees will be tax-deductible and some won't be. This process is evaluated on a yearly basis. Once it has been done, the tax and non-tax deductible amounts will show on your Minerva statement.
For further information on how to obtain your tax receipts, go to the Student Accounts website.
Students must register for their courses and pay before leaving for Africa. For more information about paying student fees, visit the Student Accounts website. Students may give "guest access" to someone such as a parent to view your student account (tuition) via the internet.
Student Accounts provides the schedule of fees.
McGill has a compulsory group sickness and accident plan for all international students. This fee is automatically charged to international students. To request the extended health insurance while participating in the Africa program contact International Student Services .
Withdrawal by the student
- $1000 (deposit): Is fully refundable up to the time of the first installment; it is non refundable thereafter
- $7000 (1st instalment- 15th September): Is fully refundable for any reason until we purchase airline tickets. After we purchase airline tickets, you will be refunded $7000 less the value of the airfare. To take advantage of seat sales, ticket purchase may be as early as September 15th. The value of the ticket is non-refundable, therefore we strongly recommend that you purchase cancellation insurance in the event the Africa Field Study Semester is cancelled or you are unable to travel.
- $4050 (2nd instalment- 15th November): Because there are fixed costs associated with the program that must be paid regardless of the number of students participating, only 50% of the two installments, less the value of the airfare, can be refunded for withdrawal after Nov 1st. If a student can be recruited from the waiting list, a larger refund may be possible, but neither McGill nor the AFSS can offer any assurance that late recruitment will be possible.
Cancellation or termination by the University
The African Field Study Semester is subject to security reviews right up to the time of departure. If the AFSS is cancelled by the University for security or any other reason, there will be costs associated with the cancellation. Certain pre-paid, fixed costs cannot be transferred. Applicants must be aware that security is a top priority for the AFSS and, if there are doubts about meeting our security standards, the AFSS will be cancelled at the University’s discretion.
Cancellation of the Program BEFORE departure: 80% of the two installments will be refunded less the value of the airfare.
Termination of the Program AFTER departure would occur only under exceptional circumstances. Based on the emergency response strategy, a decision about possible refunds would be undertaken only after the safe return of all participants and assessment of related expenses.
- Mobility Award
Quebec resident, Canadian and International students participating in an official exchange, field study semester, study-on-own, research or internship program may be entitled to a bursary for international studies.
For additional information on this bursary click here.